Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Thursday, April 18, 2013

Make Your Own Sketch


I really enjoy spending time on Paper Wishes Message Board.  There are so many nice people there and so many fun ideas.  This card was made for a challenge on that board.  The challenge was to make your own sketch from a card you like.  For some reason, I've never thought to do that before!  I went through my pictures of my cards to find the layouts I liked the best and created quite a few sketches.  So, I suspect that in the future you may periodically see my sketches on this blog because of that challenge.  Here is the first:


I made this sketch based on the following card I made some time ago.  To find out more about how I made this original card, you can look here:


After making the sketch from this thank you card, I made the Mother's Day card from it - the one you see at the top of this post.  As you can see, I decided to put the focal on an angle this time and moved the bow to underneath the focal.  Here are a few notes about how I made the Mother's Day card:

  • Papers - The background is more of the leftover embossed waxed paper that I used for a waxed paper resist and then colored with alcohol ink after creating the resist. I LOVE the translucent look and am SO glad I didn't toss all those pieces of used waxed paper!  The remaining papers are from Paper Wishes - except for the plain white.
  • Die Cuts - I die cut and embossed elements of white paper using three different sets of dies, and the lighter patterned paper from a fourth - all from Spellbinders.  The main one that mats the focal is from Fair Isle Pendents; the center one on the border strip is from Octagon Strips and Accents; and the other two are from Splendid Circles.  The center focal piece is cut with a die from Marvelous Squares.
  • Focal - After die-cutting the focal piece, I added the greeting with dimensional paint and a metal stencil I got from Paper Wishes - a Paula Hallinan stencil. I had to do it in three parts - each word separately, let it dry, do another. I then matted it on white paper and cut close to the edge of the die-cut piece.
  • Ribbon - I used three different ribbons from my stash.  The first is the one I used on the border - a fun pink and multi-sparkle ribbon that I got from my mother - seems appropriate to use it on a card for her (unless you're reading my blog, Mom!  If so, let me know you saw this and I'll send this to my Mother-in-law and make something else for you that you DON'T see! :) )  The other two ribbons are a plain pink and a white with silver edges - probably purchased at Joanne's Craft store.

No comments: