Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, June 7, 2024

HD It's A Dog's Life - Dachshund & West Highland White Terrier

 
Today I have several cards made from another Hunkydory set.  The kit is called It's a Dog's Life; the set is Dachshund & West Highland White Terrier.  Here's what the original set looked like:
 

As you can see, there was one sheet of die cuts and two sheets of AS (Adoreable Scoreable printed card stock).  And here are the 6 cards I made from this set:
 

And now for a closer look at each.

Card #1:

First up is the little "Westie".  I started by cutting the right end off the Westie AS.  Then I trimmed the far right edge and added to the left edge by taping it in the back.  I then realized I had cut the AS a bit wider than I had intended - so I sliced off a bit & added it top and bottom to it would be fairly centered on the center of my slimline card.  The join showed top and bottom, so I used a thin line Dazzle, in a similar color to the trim on the dog's coat, to hide the join.  Next I needed to make the sentiment border at the top.  To do that, I wrapped a wide silver ribbon around the card, then added a teal one before adding a bit more of the Jewel Dazzles.  Then I die cut a mat for the sentiment and realized I wished I had string the smaller ribbon through it before gluing it down!  So, I sliced the fancy edge to let me "hook" it over the small ribbon - and added the small bits I had removed because the die was too wide.  I added a bit of maroon color to the sentiment to make the gold less prominent and tie it together with the card better.  Last step was to add a bit of pink floss before gluing the entire panel to the front of the card.

Card #2:

I really like this shaped card for a masculine make.  Even if the dog DOES have a touch of pink on its coat, the maroon really tones down the pink.  As you can see, I added a gold frame between the focal mat and the background mat (all cut using the Modern Stationery set of dies from Spellbinders).  The sentiment is from the set.  I finished it off with a knotted set of raffia fibers.

Card #3:

This card is a "latched cross over card".  The left side overlaps a narrow flap coming in from the right - which has a sentiment attached on just its right side with foam tape to form a latch that holds the card closed.  After inking the edges, I added pieces of AS to each front panel before adding the border at the top, the focal, and the frame (which extends just a bit beyond the left flap).

Card #4:

I had thought I was pushing it to get 3 cards from the terrier.  I figured I could only get two from the Dachshund - until I thought of using the large frame to bring emphasis to the sentiment piece and allow it to serve as focal.  I backed the frame with a beautiful piece of shimmery gold velum before adding the focal.  Before I added it to my A2 card (with foam tape), I took gold ink to the edges of the card front.

Card #5:

Next up is a card made by cutting the left portion of the AS to give me a focal and lower border.  I trimmed it right above the dog's head and cut a matching piece from the top to give me a border at the top.  Then I covered this with ribbon to hide the join.  After inking the edges, I glued this to the card front and added the sentiment piece to the ribbon with foam tape.

Card #6:


For this last card I not only cut the AS panel in half to remove some so I could have a border top and bottom, I cut my die cut mat (same Modern Stationery set) in half and removed some so it better fit my focal & card.  I used a foiled border piece from my stash to cover those joins before adding my focal and greeting. 

Done with this set!



No comments: