Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, August 8, 2011

Use Your Paper Features - Ribbon

I find it helpful to really take advantage of the features of my scrapbook papers, and I'll be talking about a trick I used here in a minute.  First, though, let's talk about the punching. 

The background paper on this page came in a scrapbooking kit.  It wasn't a full 8 1/2 x 11, so I trimmed it a bit so it would fit on a plain green paper that had been punched with corner punches from EK Success Card Creators line of punches ("Basket Weave" is the one used here).  Before inserting the page, I cut a hole in the green paper in such a way that it would be hidden once the page was in place (I often do this when placing a large photo on a page - no point in wasting all that paper behind it that no one will see, and this gives me more of the paper to use for embellishments!).  I punched the corners of this and cut these punched pieces to create the faux corners on the photo and it's white mat.  I also used this piece and a Nestability die to cut and emboss the piece used for the title (I hand-lettered the title and drew around the embossing with a pen as I often do).  I then cut a bow from it to be used later.

The trickiest part of this page is the ribbon going across the photo near the bottom.  This was a part of the paper!  I just took an exacto knife and cut along both edges of the "ribbon" leaving some of it un-cut at the edges, but making room to slip the photo (and its mat) in behind it.  Before slipping the photo behind the ribbon, I took the little bow shape I had cut from the leftover piece of green and attached it and a little white flower with a green brad to my paper ribbon as shown.

5 comments:

Karenliz Henderson said...

Cheryl, beautiful layout! Is that you and your parents? So cute.

Cheryl said...

Hi Karen, No, the mother in the picture is my grandmother's step-sister's daughter. I guess that makes her my grandmother's step niece!

Patti B said...

Great way to use your paper embellishments. Thanks for visiting. Hope to see you again soon. Keep up the fantastic creations.

Patti B said...

Love the page. Great way to use the paper and its embellishments.
I do the same thing with my paper when there is a large area that won't be seen.

pennyd said...

We think alike about saving paper. I've never seen the point to covering up a big piece of paper - not that I am in any danger of running out! LOL