Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hospital Gowns & My Silhouette

My grandmother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and is now at home with hospice.  She has always dressed nicely, and I felt bad for her for having to wear ugly hospital gowns when she was receiving visitors and everything.  So, I decided to do something about it.

I didn't get a picture of the first one I made which was lavender flowers with a lavender heart-shaped pocket - which she loved. These pictures were taken by someone else and are a bit out of focus, but they give a little idea of a couple of others that I've made. The gown shown above was made using fabric that had already been cut out as a square dance skirt.  Since she loves cats and enjoyed Hawaii, I thought I'd use it even though it would be a challenge to figure out how to make the pre-cut pieces work.  The result, was a gown that looked quite different from a regular hospital gown, but the flaired skirt is sewn to a blue base of hospital-gown shape, so it still works as needed!

The next one I did is shaped more like a regular hospital gown, but it is reversible!  Here's a picture of one side of it:
It's pretty plain, but made with a pretty blue flowered fabric with a little pocket & lace at the base of the sleeves.  The reverse side looks like this:
I LOVE the pocket.  Here's a closeup:
The bird was from fabric (it's a shiny green, though it looks black here) that had been backed with Heat n Bond and then cut on my Silhouette!  The pattern was a freebie that I got here - created by Judith L. Perry.

1 comment:

Karenliz Henderson said...

Cheryl, they are beautiful! Hospital gowns can be so ugly and your are wonderful. I'm sure your grandmother loves them.