Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, September 7, 2015

1 Sheet Wonders


Sometimes I just can't come up with ideas for a card.  This was the case with this card.  I had created the focal from glossy card stock with alcohol inks and black embossing powder using JustRite's Stamps ("Sympathy Vintage Labels" and "Enjoy the Day Vintage Labels 4") & Dies ("Vintage Label & Banner").  I had selected this lovely Hot Off The Press paper to use with it.  But I just couldn't come up with an idea for putting it together!  When that happens, I sometimes find it helpful to surf the web a bit for inspiration.

What I found this time was a lot of examples of "One Sheet Wonders".  As many of you may already know, this is where you take one sheet of patterned paper, cut it into various shapes making the best use of the paper that you can, and then use the shapes to make as many cards as you can (or at least quite a few of them).  I realized that part of the reason I was having a challenge with this particular card was that I hated to cut into my beautiful flocked paper!  So, I bit the bullet and just started cutting it into shapes.  I didn't use one of the many patterns out there, and I wasn't as ruthless as many folks (didn't cut as many small pieces).  I cut several pretty big pieces that can serve as backgrounds for cards.  But I also cut some strips of paper, and that is what I ended up using here.  I had a purple card base that was perfect for this.  I matted my strips of paper with black and tied it all together with a black satin ribbon.  I love the way it came together!

After cutting my strips to the right length for the previous card, I had some little pieces of them left over, so used them to make another card:
I'm not as happy with this one.  It clearly needs something but I haven't figured out what.  However, it's a good start on a second card and I have quite a few pieces of this lovely paper left over to play with some other time.  On this second card, I matted the elements with a pink piece of paper in addition to the black.  I also used some dazzles for the focal - matted on purple glimmer paper. After matting the butterfly and cutting it out, I folded up the wings and used dimensional tape to attach the body (only) to the card. The dazzles are the "mirror" finish and quite pretty in person.  It's not easy to spot them in the picture, but the lower left corner has 3 "crystal" flowers which add some more dimension.

No comments: