Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, September 21, 2012

Enhance Your Focal

So often when I get ready to post a card, I discover that I wish I had done something different with it!  Today is no exception.  At the end of this post, I'll tell you what I WISH I'd done! :)

Anyway, today's card is an example of how small changes can make a significant difference.  Compare the card above with this previous version of it:
While the difference is more dramatic in person, I think you can probably see that the top one looks more finished.  There are two differences.  The first and most visible in the pictures is the addition of the ribbon bow.  So often I find a bit of ribbon can make a HUGE difference in a card!  Second is the flowers.  I wasn't happy with them, so stamped them again on white cardstock - and did NOT color them in the way I had done here.  Then I put them on top of these with foam squares.  These two things add quite a bit of dimension to the card and make it SO much better.

The card itself is embossed with an M-Bossabilities folder (Spellbinders) and then a piece of glitter cardstock (cut from my Cheery Lynn lattice die) was added.  I got the shape for the focal by tracing the outline of a die from my Spellbinders Fair Isle Pendants Set. I then hand-drew a second line just in a bit from the first (stay tuned for a tip on doing that).  The stamps were from K&Company (sentiment) and Hot Off the Press (flowers).

Here's the tip I promised:  If you're not sure about your ability to draw that line in from the edge of the focal, use an erasable pen!  I've recently gotten several sets of the FriXion Pens by Pilot.  (I ordered mine from Staples on-line and picked them up at my local Staples store to save on shipping costs).  They really do erase pretty well - just don't press hard when writing, they can't erase the indentations you might make in the paper! They come in an assortment of pretty colors - one of which is pink as you see here. You can get them in .5mm and .7mm tips.  I use them a lot when I'm going to hand-write something on a card - just in case I don't get it centered the way I want it or make some other mistake.  Anyway, after getting my line the way I wanted it on the focal, I went over it with a sparkly gel pen to bump up the bling factor. :)

Now for what I WISH I had done.  I would like to see more of the dark pink around the focal in some way.  I'm thinking a couple inch strip of it running horizontally across the center of the card. Or perhaps a larger oval behind the diamond.  Maybe a narrow strip running horizontally across the card near the top of the diamond to anchor it?  I hadn't done any of these because I really like the way the diamond shape fits so nicely into the lattice shape, so perhaps the narrow strip would be the best.  Hmmm, still thinking about it.  What do YOU think????

No comments: