Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Thursday, September 27, 2012

Christmas Card with 3-d Ornament Stickers


Today is the last Thursday of the month, so it's time for another Christmas Card.  The holidays are getting closer now.  How are you coming on getting your cards done?  As you've no doubt figured out by now, I'm really enjoying my Resplendent Rectangles set from Spellbinders.  Here's another card that features them, plus one of their edgeabilities sets.

For this card I wanted to use this 3-d ornament sticker that I've had for who knows how long.  I'm not sure where it came from but I think it might have been K&Company.  Anyway, knowing I wanted to use it, and feeling less than inspired, I went looking for a card sketch that would show it well.  I found this one on Mojo Monday - sketch #45. The tan and the patterned paper is from a DCWV Holiday Collection stack. 

For ease in describing what I did, I'll once again number the dies in my Resplendent Rectangles set starting with the largest - biggest is #1, smallest is #5.  I cut a piece of the tan that was 1/4" smaller than my card and then cut and embossed it with the largest die in the center of it.  That gave me the large frame you see here, and an inside piece which I saved for the inside of the card.  I inked the edge with brown ink and then cut a piece of the patterned paper so it would fit behind the frame and glued them both in place on the front of the card. 

Next came the border that runs horizontally across the center of the card.  I cut and embossed it with the edgeabilities dies.  I wanted to mat it with paper to match the card itself - and found I didn't have cardstock quite that color.  But, I DID have some wallpaper from a sample book that matched well, so that is what I used!

To mat the ornament, I used die number 3 to cut and emboss another piece of the tan paper.  Then I drew around the inside of the die onto the patterned paper and cut it out so it just fit inside the tan mat as you can see in the picture.

For the sentiment, I cut and embossed a piece from the patterned paper using die number 4.  I then drew around the outside of the die onto tan paper and cut it out to form the mat you see here. I also cut and embossed die number 5 using the tan so I could stamp my sentiment on it. (The stamp is a small set from Studio G.)  I inked the edges of both of these tan pieces before gluing them to the center border.  TIP: Sometimes I don't have the right color of ink to stamp my sentiment.  As I did here, I find it works pretty well to stamp twice with different colors - the second one directly on top of the first.  The colors sort of blend to give me the color I want.  This is where clear stamps really come in handy because you can see to line them up just right.

As you can see from the picture, I finished off the card by adding a few jewel Dazzles in the bottom right hand corner and adding a hand-drawn line across the top from which the ornament appears to hang.


The inside of the card was pretty straight forward.  I just cut a piece of the patterned paper a bit smaller than the card itself.  This formed the mat for the leftover cut-out from the card front.  Now I have a pretty place to write my message.

No comments: