Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Tunnel Scapes and Fair Winds

Today I'm playing with cutting dies from two Spellbinders collections.  The first is Tunnel Scapes. The second is Fair Winds. I made the card above using a couple sets from the Tunnel Scapes collection - see here for more information on how I made that card.  Pieces for the above came from two of the Tunnel Scapes sets (Cloud Scapes and Fly Away) shown below.  Today I'm not making cards - simply trying out the dies and making several pieces ahead for when I might want to use them.   I find that often if I have something ready made, I'll use it - but if not, I'll find something else rather than pulling out my dies.

Cloud Scapes:

Cloud Scapes consists of cloud tunnel pieces, extra cloud pieces, moon, stars, and sun.

Fly Away:


As you can see, Fly Away consists of pieces to make two things - a kite, and an airliner (seen from below).

Underwater Tunnel:

Here are the layers as usually used.


And here are the "innards" which can also be used as a backdrop for underwater scenes.

I experimented with different Metallic Sharpies colors for the anchors - starting with silver, the color most examples used.  I found, however, that I kind of like using bronze for the main part & silver for the little added piece. On one, I also added a bit of "patina" using a greenish metallic Bic marker and immediately trying to wipe it off to soften the effect.  I think it looks pretty interesting IRL.

The rocks are designed so they can be layered to create a different look, though I left these unlayered until I know how I'll be using them.  These are colored with Distress Inks.

The seaweed and corals are also colored with distress inks.

Underwater Marine Life:

We'll start with the sea turtles.  I used Distress and Distress Oxide inks except for the black which was a fine-line marker.  After trial and error, I discovered I like the look better if I wrinkled the neck (folding and smushing it a bit) before coloring it - added a bit more realistic look.

Once again, the fish are colored with Distress and Distress Oxide inks - with sharpie or paper for the black.

Perched Birds:

First the branches they can perch on (along with extra leaves).

And then the birds.  All colored with Distress and Distress Oxide inks (except for black which is marker).

That's all of the die sets in the Tunnel Scapes collection!

Next up is the Fair Winds Collection.  

Fair Winds Collection: There are 3 sets of die cuts in this collection - actually 4 given the Fair Winds Sentiments Stamp and Die set - but I'll focus on the other 3 sets.

Oh, Buoy!:

Here are 4 of the 5 objects that it makes - the last is the seagull (see below).  These pieces were all colored using Distress and Distress Oxide inks.

The gulls went together quickly and easily - again colored with Distress & Distress Oxide inks.

Set Sail:

In addition to the sail boats that you see above, the set comes with waves and clouds.  

The clouds can be layered or not as you choose.  

Surprisingly, the cloud shapes can also be colored green to serve as trees or bushes along the horizon when building a scene.

Guiding Light:

First up are the rocks that help create the scene for the lighthouse. Once again colored with distress inks.

There were also some small flying gulls, but somehow I didn't get pics of them.

That's it for both of the Spellbinders collections that I recently purchased.

No comments: