Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Thursday, July 4, 2024

More Embellishments


I got some more embellishment/focal dies, and am working to make some up for my stash before I put them away.   All of these are from Spellbinders.

Gnome Drive Holiday: (above)

First up, is a set I bought for the car.  I like that it is facing forward - so many you see from the back.  I'm not that big on gnomes, but I THOUGHT I had seen that it would work with the Elizabeth Craft animals.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  They are too big for the car.  It IS the right size for the Karen Burniston animals, but I don't have any of them!  So, gnome driver it is, I guess.    As gnomes go, I DO like this one - really easy to put together.  The tree and star aren't much different from others in my collection, but I really like the bows on the packages - much nicer than others I have.  The car itself is pretty cute - quite a few pieces, but not hard once you get the hang of it.  

Beautiful Wreaths Collection: 

Build a Wreath:

I really like the elements in this set!  The green sprigs and little branches, the flowers, and the pretty bow - all are really nice and can be used in far more situations than simply making wreaths!  They will be a really nice addition to my other floral sets.

Birthday Wreath Add-Ons:

I can't imagine using these on a wreath as they were intended, but they will be great for birthday cards!

Snowman Scene Etched Dies from the Simon's Snow Globes Collection:

So far, this is the only die set I have from this collection - I don't have the snow globe itself and don't know if these will fit with the HOTP snow globe I have.  I bought it because I don't have much in the way of decent snowman dies and this seemed reasonable (Hmmm, I wonder if they are the right size to drive the car????).  Anyway, I partly got it so I would have decent snowmen and partly because I thought it might work with the "window with a view" (see below) set for winter scenes.  We'll see if they're the right size for that.  Anyway, one of the things I discovered is that tiny scraps of gold metallic card stock works great for these little Christmas tree ornaments.  The star that comes with the snowman also works great for a topper for the Christmas tree.  I also found that it works great to use scraps of glossy photo paper to cut some of these pieces - then they can be colored with Sharpies to great a glossy look.  Especially nice for the top hat and Christmas tree ornaments!

Holiday Blooms Etched Dies from the Celebrate the Season Collection:


This is the only set I have from this collection and I don't expect to get others.  I bought it simply so I'd have more layering Christmas flowers for my various makes.  I cut these all from white card stock and then inked them with Distress and/or Distress Oxide inks.  I really like the cat tails that I made using Peeled Paint - and Vintage Photo pounced to create the brown cat tail parts.

Country Road Collection by Annie Williams:

I currently only have a couple of these sets, but another is on order.  It has nice greenery bits and I like the smaller flowers.  The poinsettias are okay, the large roses? are not my favorites.

Rustic Garden:


I LOVED playing with this set!  I cut all from white, then colored them with a mix of Distress inks, Distress Oxides, and permanent markers (Sharpies & Bic).  It was fun to create the look of an old copper pump with patina using a greenish metallic over the copper - smearing it before it could dry.  Not at first realizing that I could cut the rim & the spokes at the same time, I ended up with extra spokes & innies - which I tried to turn into game boards (darts).  They could also make a ferris wheel or a windmill! :)

Garden Builder:

What a lot of nice plants and flowers - and a cat!  These were again all die cut from white scraps & then colored - mostly with distress inks - before being assembled.

Windows with a View Collection by Tina Smith:

I currently have 3 sets from this collection - and I believe all the rest are on order.  I think it will be the only one where I have the entire collection, and I'm looking forward to the enormous variety of scenes it will allow me to make!

Backyard Haven View:

I LOVE this set!  So many fun elements!  But they are TINY.  I found myself using my finest point marker to place eyes for the squirrel & owl.  Speaking of the owl - I used the innies from the tire swing to back the owl (trimming as needed) to create the little eyes.  Most pieces were colored with Distress inks, though I used markers & water brush for the little birds.

Coastal Escape View:

This is another set that was SO MUCH FUN! However, I THOUGHT the fish would be easiest to color - I was wrong.  I had a REALLY hard time with them for some reason.  I felt the coloring on the other elements was more realistic.  I'm sure I'll learn.  I really had fun playing with these.  Mostly I used my distress inks - with Copper & Silver Sharpies.  Since I don't have yellow distress ink, I had to use the distress oxide.  I prefer the plain distress inks for these.  The background of the brown/framed water was done with distress oxide and I find it harder to create light/dark with the same ink.  But, I sprayed it with a sparkle spray and it created a lovely water effect.

Up in the Air View:

What a fun set of die cut elements - small but so much fun!  I didn't finish coloring all the umbrella's balloons, and flowers because I figured I'd wait and color them specifically to fit a card or scrapbook page.  In the meantime, I've got lots of other elements to choose from.  Once again, these were mostly colored with distress inks or Sharpies, but I did use some patterned papers as well as scraps of silver card stock.  It works really well to use a silver Sharpie to color metal bits like on the umbrellas.  Also, when I used regular Sharpies to color over a silver metallic piece, the color ended up looking a bit metallic!

That's all I have for now - but my next shipment is on the way.  I haven't bought much in some time but really found some things I liked recently and went a little crazy.  The next shipment has the rest of the elements from the Window with a View set and another of the Country Road.  It will be fun to put them all together.

No comments: