Once again I'm grateful for this blog, but I realize that lately I've gotten lax about posting a complete materials list (including inks used). While I mostly post in the hope of inspiring others with my creations, it also serves as a record for myself of what I've done and how I did it. This morning I needed to send out a card and found I wanted to exchange the greeting for a different one. To do that, I needed to know exactly what color ink I used. Fortunately the post in question listed the name of the ink, and I was able to quickly and easily switch out the greeting I originally had on the card for the one I actually needed. So, there is value in a COMPLETE materials list! :)
I didn't get a picture of that "remake" before it went out in the mail, but in looking through my cards, I decided to remake another one. You see the results of the re-make above. This is what it originally looked like:
Frankly, while I enjoyed playing with the stamping technique used for the butterfly (same as described here), I never liked this card - so much so I never even posted it. After it sat in my stash for nearly 2 years, I figured I better re-do it so I would actually make use of it. One of the things I like about using my ATG is that it always holds the elements well, but they can often still be removed if one is careful. That worked very well in this case. After removing the butterfly & tag, here's how I did the re-do:
For the focal:
- Using a smaller scalloped rectangle die (Spelbinders), I re-cut the butterfly.
- Then I cut a piece of white cardstock the same size as the original blue (Spellbinder Fleur De Lis Rectangles).
- A larger blue mat (drawn with pencil around die and then cut by hand) forms the bottom layer of the focal.
For the sentiment:
- I got rid of the original hand-written sentiment - just didn't like it. Instead, I cut a strip of white, stamped the sentiment on it, and chevron cut the ends. Then I cut a similar larger piece of blue to mat it.
- While I would have preferred the border to be offset rather than across the center, it wouldn't lift easily and I didn't want to tear it or the background paper. So, I decided to flip the card to make it a vertical rather than horizontal card.
- After arranging the elements, I decided I wanted to round the corners of the card to match the corners of the focal.