Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, September 5, 2011

Challenging Papers - Part 2 - Bugs & Spiders

This is part 2 in a series about using up papers that you thought you'd never use, and also offers a trick about adhering vellum.  The trick with using challenging papers is to think of it differently.  This paper was in a Paper Pizazz book from Hot Off the Press.  I think it was called "Great Outdoors".  The paper was covered with bugs and I figured it was designed to either be used for a page about camping, or for a little boys page.  I wasn't likely to use it for either one.  So how COULD I use it?

I noticed the spider web in the corner & thought "Hmm, it could be used for Halloween".  Of course, I don't send out many Halloween cards either, but decided to go with that idea and see where it would take me.  I found this cute Spider pattern free on the web (einnej created it).  Using my Silhouette, I cut it out of black suede paper, figuring the lovely fuzzy texture would be just right for my spider.

As I played with placing my spider, the phrase "Just hanging out" came to me and I realized I could use these materials to make a card that was NOT a Halloween card!  I searched for a plain blue paper to coordinate with my background, but couldn't find anything the right shade.  Then I thought, "Vellum!"  I printed the sentiments on this blue vellum and cut them out with deckle-edged scissors.  Voila! A card using my challenge paper that I would actually use!

Here's a picture of the inside of the card:

Tip:  One of the best adhesives I've found for adhering vellum is called, "Wackytac", from River City Products in Kansas City, MO.  It comes in a roll with a funky applicator called a "wacky widget", is acid free, and really does disappear on most vellum.  Great stuff!

1 comment:

Jennifer M. said...

Very cute Cheryl! I hate spiders, but you made one cute one there. The sentiment goes perfectly.

Great Job!
Jen