Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Sunday, April 10, 2022

HD Floral Shimmer - Birthday Wishes

Today I have 7 cards from the Hunkydory Kit called Floral Shimmer.  I LOVE that kit!  It has a special shimmer to it that is just beautiful.  Unfortunately, I started working on this kit before I understood that the kits had "sets" and that it was best to work one set at a time so you didn't end up with stuff that didn't go together very well.  Since I didn't realize that when I started (back in March & April of 2017), I ended up cutting into sets and putting stuff together in unexpected ways that left me with a bit of a mess.  

So, today's "set" is the one called Birthday Wishes - but as I tried to gather elements together in a way that worked, I found I had 4 sheets of AS that I put with the set (when I'm sure only two of them would actually have gone with it originally), and I had a couple of extra die cuts from another set that would only go with the AS from this set.  I'm guessing that the original die cut sheet that went with two of the AS sheets was mostly used elsewhere!

Anyway, here are the materials I started with:

And here are the cards I made from it:

Let's take a close look at each.

Card #1 (at top of this post):  I had 3 sets of wavy side pieces in the die cut sheet, and often have a hard time figuring out what to do with them!  This time I decided to make a tall card by cutting a piece of AS, adding a silver card stock border on the sides, and adding the side pieces top and bottom.  Since I already had in mind that I wanted to use that deep purple ribbon as a border that the greeting sat on, I didn't want to cut the AS any shorter - so ended up with a card nearly 10" tall and 4" wide.  I don't think I'll do that again, but it was a fun experiment.  Anyway, I wrapped the ribbon around before gluing the AS construction to the card front.

Inside:

It took me a bit to figure out what to do with the inside.  Then I realized that there was a similarity between the border on the AS & the die cut pieces I used on the front.  So, I cut another piece of AS, cut a small piece of the border in half & put it top & bottom, then added border stickers around so it looked like the silver card stock I had on the front of the card.

Card #2:

Here I have the largest of the two wavy side shapes.  I decided to put them backwards from what would normally be expected and then add another die cut on top for the focal.  I added a butterfly die cut and a sentiment from a HD Little Book of Sentiments.

Inside:

Inside I simply added more of the AS, another sentiment from the little book, and silver border stickers.

Card #3:

Often, my cards just evolve.  Here I had a die cut that went with the AS, but it was a bit small & I didn't have much else that would go with it.  Looking through my stash, I found this lovely purple sheer ribbon and decided to make a bow & border using it.  As you can see, I added some silver Jewel Dazzles to brighten it up.

Inside:

Inside is more of the same for a coordinating border.

Card #4:

The AS that went with this die cut focal was pretty busy, so I toned it down by adding a die cut silver card stock from my stash as a mat (Spellbinder's Decorative Labels Eight).  As you can see, I also matted the background with silver and added a border (from the set).  The added butterfly might not even be from this kit as it looked like I had some leftovers from an earlier kit, but I thought it went well.

Inside:

As you can see, I used similar materials on the inside - though this time the silver piece was die cut with a Fun Stampers Journey Pierced Rectangles die.

Card #5:

I liked the background of this AS, but it had giant floral corners that I didn't care for and that made cutting a background piece difficult.  I managed by cutting the background on the diagonal.  Then I cut the borders (that were on the floral corners) and used some scraps to add in a bit of pink on the purple part and purple on the pink part.  As you can see, I used border stickers that the sentiment went on, and placed the focal on the added scraps.  It's a bit unusual, but . . . 

Inside:

For the inside I carefully cut the remaining scraps into these matching triangles and added the last pair of wavy border pieces as accents.

Card #6:

I still had some of that busy floral background left and hadn't used a lot of the border, so made another card - this time with a scrap of silver ribbon-lace and a couple more die cuts from the set.

Inside:

Inside I used another greeting die cut from the set, a scrap of the floral AS and some scraps of silver card stock to create a border.

Card #7:

These die cuts were leftovers from some other set, but I thought they worked well with this AS.  The ribbon wraps over the frame and under the die cut focal - and I added thin line Dazzles to it as well.  A small sentiment die cut and some Jewel Dazzles complete the outside.

Inside:

You really can't tell from the pictures, but the piece on the inside is really the same color and pattern (in a smaller scale) as the AS on the card front.  It DOES have gorgeous silver foiling which blends well with the silver on the card front.

No comments: