Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, August 23, 2024

Flower Patch Pots

Today's cards come from a card making kit I was gifted - called Flower Patch Pots - made by Katy Sue Designs.  It came with 8 sets - 4 designs, two of each.  I shared with my Mom, so will only be making four.  The kit is designed to make shaped cards that look like a flower pot. 

Card #1: You can see the first one in the picture above.  The flowers are actually designed to be layered up papier tole style, but I find I prefer to glue them in such a way as to make a fuller looking set of flowers.  That is how I have flowers that seemingly cascade down the pot.  The center top pulls out of the flower pot pocket giving you a place to write your message (and showing you how I added the "cascading" flowers:

This card also has a stand on the back for display purposes.

When I get concept cards like these, I find that I seldom want to make them the way they were designed.  I usually make the first as directed to see what I think of it, then move on to do my own thing for the rest.   With this one, I may come back and re-do it as I have done for the rest of them!

Card #2:                                                                            


I decided I would much rather use these flower pots as focals on 5 x 7 cards.  After creating the pot base as directed, I decided I didn't care for the color of the pot, so cut a piece of orange gingham paper to cover it.  I used a piece of burnt orange card stock for the background - bordered by copper Jewel Border Dazzles from HOTP.  I took a scrap of this copper material and added it to the bottom edge of the pot's upper edge, fussy cutting to match.  Then I added a green ribbon around the whole & tied a bow before gluing it down.  Toward the top of the insert, I glued flowers and greeting from the kit (see picture below).  I also added a few roses by the bow and toward the bottom of the pot.

The flowers still pull out of the pot with a space for a private message (or maybe a gift card?), but the card also opens up:

I used scraps from the front to make a border for the inside of the card.

Card #3:

I created card #3 in a similar manner.  This time I used a strip of green patterned paper for the background - bordered by two narrow strips of yellow gingham - both papers from my stash.  I added a narrow white border sticker to create demarcation between the two.  After creating the pot as normal, I added the yellow border strip (that came in the kit) toward the bottom of the pot.  I also added a white border sticker along the lower edge of the pot's upper edge.  Flowers were arranged to create a much fuller bouquet.  The single flowers I used toward the bottom of the pot didn't have leaves, so I added some from my stash.

Inside:

Again I used scraps to make a border on the inside - then fussy cut flowers from the illustrations to decorate it.  The next picture shows the card front with the flowers pulled out of the pot.


Card #4:

This time I used a purple embossed glimmer paper for the background, along with a doily mat - inked with silver ink.  Embossed silver borders decorate the pot & form a border at the top.  The lip of the pot also has a couple of layers of ribbon, with a touch of that same ribbon peeking out from the sentiment (from the kit).  I used a silver sharpie to color over the gold edges of the sentiment so it coordinated better with the rest.

Card #1 RE-MAKE:


I DID decide to go back and modify the original flower pot to create a card similar to the others.  A marbled light pink forms the background with a piece of white doily at the bottom.  I added a couple of "fallen blossoms" to the lower left corner to cover a spot where the doily got messed up!  Then I needed to balance it with something in the upper right corner.  I used gold Jewel Dazzles covered with punched pieces from a lavender flower for that. I was fortunate to have those additional flowers available - an extra flower sheet had been included in my kit - probably stuck together because they were so thin.  Finally, I covered the original sentiment with another one - this time in pink - using foam tape for dimension.

No comments: