This card came together quickly with the use of dimensional elements from the dollar store. For me a card idea can start from a variety of elements. In this case, I started by going through my blue scraps to see what I had that would work for background paper. I found this bit of "Shine Design" paper from Hot Off the Press that I wanted to use, and it was the springboard for this card. (It also has an "oops" that was worked into the final product.)
- 2 different "Shine Design" patterns (Hot Off the Press)
- Die sets - "Elegant Labels Four" & "Labels Four" (Spellbinders)
- "Imperial" M-Bossabilities Folder (Spellbinders)
- Silver ribbon
- "Thinking of You" stamp (JustRite)
- Dimensional elements from dollar store
- Focal: I mounted my dollar store elements on an embossed white background that was matted on dark blue. As you can see, I fussy cut around the embossed image before matting it. The flower in the lower corner had a butterfly attached to it that I cut off and saved for my sentiment.
- Sentiment: I started my sentiment section by cutting a white piece with a Labels Four die and the dark blue Shine Design with a die from Elegant Labels Four. Then I stamped my sentiment. My plan had been to run a series of stamped sentiments - from light colored to dark (silver, lavender, dark blue). However, when I tried it, the silver just didn't show up well enough, so I stamped over it with the blue. Unfortunately, the silver then showed up really well and was not aligned well with the blue. So, I took a water brush, picked up some of the silver ink and covered the whole with a thinned coat of silver - took care of the stamped silver very well! I finished it off by inking the edges of the piece, adding the dimensional butterfly. I threaded a silver ribbon through the dark blue piece, and the attached the sentiment with foam tape.
- After attaching my elements to the light blue (including wrapping the ribbon ends behind and taping them there), I created a fake mat with strips of dark blue and added the whole to the front of my card.