Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Saturday, December 1, 2012

Big Shot Repairs & New Embossing Folder

YAY! I finally have my Big Shot working again and was able to use my new embossing folder!  In a bit I'll give you a run down of what it took to get my machine running again, but first, let's talk about the card.

This card started with another fancy sentiment piece from my "Press-Out Victorian Christmas Book."  I once again cut a piece of double-stick adhesive sheet to fit (peel off one side and place the piece on it, then trim around it), and covered it with clear micro-beads.  It's hard to really see the effect in the picture, but it gives additional texture and glitz. 

For the background, I embossed a cream piece of glimmer paper with my new embossing folder from Sizzix (Peace Poinsettia Set). After adhering the embossed panel to the card, I used gold stickles for the center of the flowers and then ran a bead of it around my embossed piece to frame it.  A gold bow would be a nice touch, but I left it off so I wouldn't have to worry about the additional thickness when mailing it.

So that's my card.  Now for the Big Shot saga.

It all started a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving when the handle of my Big Shot came off in my hand as I was using the machine.  The crank shaft had broken.  Fortunately they have a 3-year warranty, so I was able to call and see about warranty repair.  They sent me a replacement crankshaft and instructions on how to replace it.  It should have been relatively easy to replace, but when I got things taken apart, I discovered that another part needed to be replaced as well.  So, I had to wait a few more days while they sent that part to me (crank shaft bearings).  

Next problem, I needed a couple of tools I didn't have.  One was a pair of snap ring pliers; the other was a short solid steel rod approx 1/2" in diameter. My local hardware store was able to fix me up with both.  For the rod, we found a long bolt (I think it may have been 5" long). The guy that was helping me was willing to take a hacksaw to it and cut off the threads, leaving me with a rod that was about 3 1/2" long - plenty long enough to do what I needed.  After that, it was simply a matter of following the instructions.  The only problem came when I forgot to put a piece back and had to tear things apart again to put it in.  This meant removing the e-clips on the crank shaft again, and that caused me a bit of trouble.  At first things didn't want to rotate the way they needed to, and I knew better than to put things back together until I got that sorted out.  I guess something wasn't seated quite right, but I finally got it working.  Cranks so smoothly now!

I can't begin to express how wonderful it is to have my Big Shot back!  And it's nice to know that these things can be replaced should I need to do so sometime in the future.

1 comment:

Carol J said...

I'm glad your back to being able to use your Big Shot. Sounds like quite the saga ! Hope it lasts a long time.

Your card is wonderful. I love that folder, I hadn't seen that one before. I may have to look for that one at my LSS but usually she doesn't have much new items like that - always lots of new papers however. Like you said over on PW MB --- I have tons of paper that will take me FOREVER to use up.

Have a great weekend.