Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Serendipity Squares

One of the best ways I've found to use scraps is to make serendipity squares.  I am always surprised by how nice they look when they are done because while I'm making them they don't look like they'll amount to much.
They are really easy to make:
  • Take a piece of plain paper or cardstock to use as your base.  Then glue little bits of various scraps of paper all over it, letting some of the base paper show through as you wish.  Make sure you cover the back of the scrap completely with your glue so it will adhere when you cut this up. You can add other embellishments like scraps from sticker sheets, stamping, embossing, whatever you wish.  The most important thing is to have a variety of elements placed pretty randomly all over the page and to have them glued down completely. (see sample below).
  • After your adhesive has dried, use your paper trimmer to cut your paper into strips - I cut mine into two sizes -  1"  and 1 1/2", but you can make them whatever size you like.  Then cut the strips into squares - in this case, 1" squares or 1 1/2" squares.
  • Choose cardstock or paper in a complementary color to serve as a mat for your serendipity squares.  Cut it into squares 1/4" to 1/2" larger than your first squares (depending on how wide a border you want - I like them just 1/4" larger). Then glue your squares to the mats.  They should look something like this:
Now you can use them on projects as you choose.  In my first example, I used some stacking Dazzles Stickers on top of one of my serendipity squares to create the focal for my card.  Here are a couple of other examples of their use - some note cards and a scrapbook page:


For the scrapbook page, you can see that I used peel-off stickers as a border around my serendipity squares.  Here's a close up of that:

2 comments:

Karenliz Henderson said...

Thanks for the reminder Cheryl! I keep so many scraps. I need to do something with them or just throw them out! Thanks again.

pennyd said...

I remember that scrapbook page! I wasn't very keen on this technique until we did it on the message board and they came out wonderfully.

Thanks for the reminder!