Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Thursday, December 1, 2022

HD Twilight Under the Sea - You're a Treasure

Today I have 5 cards from a Hunkydory kit called Twilight Under the Sea - the set called You're a Treasure.  Here's what the set included:

One die cut sheet and two Adorable Scoreable (AS) pieces of printed card stock.

And here are the 5 cards made:

Next up are the closeups of each card.

Card #1:

I made my first card with a black card stock base.  It was pretty quick.  I cut the border to fit - except that unless I cut into the next word, it was a little too short.  So, I added black mirri to each end to create the correct length.  I also chose to fussy cut the treasure chest, so it would look like it was floating to the bottom.

Inside:

Because the inside was black, I needed something lighter to write a message on.  I added the frame, then cut a piece of white card stock a bit smaller to leave a black border.  Then I used distress & distress oxide inks to color the card stock to blend with the border & card front.  I finished with the remaining piece of border left over from the card front.

Card #2:

I usually start working with a set by cutting the AS into different pieces for the cards I want to make.  In this case, after cutting a 5 x 7 from the one sheet of AS and two 9 x 4 pieces from the other, I had some miscellaneous pieces left that weren't really the right side for any card - so, this card front was pieced from those.  The largest remaining piece was from the first AS sheet.  I took a border from the die cut sheet and added it to the bottom.  Then I added a border at the top from the 2nd AS sheet, and finished the background of the card by adding a piece of washi tape running across the top and then using a Sharpie marker to add black to the edges that didn't already have it.  As you can see, I then added a couple of die cuts from the die cut sheet to complete the card front.

Inside:

Inside I created a border with a thin strip of leftover AS and washi tape top and bottom.

Card #3:

This card front was the first piece cut from the AS.  I used a black Sharpie to edge the card stock.  Then I added a washi tape border across the top, along with a die cut sentiment from the set to finish the card.

Inside:

Inside, I cut a piece of scrap from the die cut sheet to create a border with colors that mimic that on the card front - adding washi & Sharpie.  I also free-hand cut a "fish" from black mirri to add to this border.

Card #4:

Here we have a piece of the 2nd AS piece cut to fit the card front.  I added a piece of border from the die cut sheet to the bottom border.  Then I added a frame and focal from the die cut sheet.  The final piece was a die cut sentiment, added with foam tape.

Inside:

Once again, a strip of AS scrap along with scraps of mirri & Sharpie edges create a border on the inside of the card.

Card #5:

This card front was cut from the AS in the same way as the previous one.  To this, I added a frame and focal from the die cut sheet and another die cut sentiment from the same sheet - again added with foam tape.

Inside:

Borders on the inside where created from scraps of the AS & scraps of the die cut sheet.

THE CHANGE: And now the twist!  After posting, these cards on a message board I frequent, a friend pointed out that the sentiment on card #3 might not be taken well given the focal picture.  I immediately knew she was right and that I needed to make some changes.

I thought it would be a simple swap - and it started out that way.  I simply took the offending sentiment and card #4, and exchanged sentiments to create this:


But, when I went to put the "Birthday Wishes" sentiment on the original card, I didn't like it.  It wasn't as bad as the first sentiment, but still not great.  So, I ended up putting it on the inside of card #5 so it looked like this:

So now I needed a sentiment that would work with the focal on card #3.  I remembered the sentiment stamps/dies sets that my Mom had brought over on Wednesday.  I had stamped and die cut a whole bunch with black ink on white card stock, figuring I could then color the background whatever color would work best with my card.  I chose two of those and used distress & oxide inks to color them before adding them to the card.  This is now what it looks like:


I definitely think that sentiment is better than the original with this focal!

No comments: