Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, June 18, 2021

Happy Father's Day 2021

Today's card was made using a Debbi Moore download set called Vintage Discovery.  I thought it perfect for my dad who was once a private pilot.  I made it as a slider card (okay, for it to work, the plane flies backward - it's a trick plane okay?!) :D  The background paper, glider and border all came from the set.

I learned to make this style card from a HOTP DVD called 100 Moveable Parts Cards. They have full instructions, video, and pattern there.  Since their pattern was for a standard 5 x 6.5" card, I made my own pattern.  Construction is really quite easy:  

  1. Create a pull tab from heavy card stock - rounding the corners if you wish.  
  2. Cut a piece of paper that will go behind the background paper and attach it to the card front (you could stamp a hidden message at this time if you wish, but I felt it was easier to wait and do it later so I didn't have trouble aligning it. 
  3. Cut a slot out of the background paper where you want the image to slide (best if it is heavier weight - more like light card stock). I simply held up the background paper with the slider in front where I wanted it for the finished card and made pencil marks to show me where I wanted the slot to be - then fussy cut it.
  4. Punch a small hole in the focal image where you want it to attach to your slider (once again, if it is at least printed on light card stock it will be better - especially if it's a large one like this is).  
  5. Punch a small hole in the pull tab where you wish to attach the focal image.  
  6. Place a brad through the punched hole in the focal image, through the slot, and through the punched hole in the pull tab and tighten it closed.
  7. From the back, with pull tab in closed position and correctly aligned, add strips of adhesive to the back of the background paper on either side of the pull tab and on the rest of the background paper - then adhere it to the card front so that there is no adhesive where you want the slider to slide.  
  8. Make sure your slider slides properly.  I had to do two additional things for mine - in part because it was so large.  First, I added a bit of baby powder through the front slit and slid it back & forth to help it slide more easily.  Second, I attached just the tip of the banner to the pull tab so the image wouldn't twist because of its size.
  9. If you want a hidden message - stamp or write it through the slot.

Slider Open:

Inside:

I made a border with a strip of scrap maroon card stock and a sliver of the "sky" paper that was left.  The sentiment was fussy cut from the set.

No comments: