This is one of the scrapbook pages I made for the National Scrapbooking Day "Pick and Create Challenge" on the Paper Wishes Message Board - and it WON! (Thank you, Paper Wishes!)
For this challenge I chose: Stream, Swimmer, Otter, Swim - which meant I needed to use/do:
- striped patterned paper (used it to mat my photo)
- lake/pool/beach - background & largest embellishment
- Dazzles - a couple of my "shell" embellishments & my sea horse
- Paper tearing - for my "ocean"
- PAPER - the paper used for the "ocean" & the striped paper mat for the photo were from an older HOTP "Finished in a Flash" kit called AT THE BEACH. The background paper is their "Sandstone" paper sold as single sheets (which was also used for the journaling piece).
- OCEAN - I tore various strips of the blue paper to create the look of waves, layering them as you see.
- TITLE - The title came from one of the old HOTP books of punch-out embellishments and/or borders. The starfish at the top left corner was cut from a punch-out border (not sure if it was the same book or a different one). I took a brown pen & outlined the edges of it so it stood out better and blended in better with the Dazzle pieces I describe a little later.
- JOURNALING - I printed my journaling on another piece of the Sandstone paper, tore around it, and then inked the edges.
- SAND CASTLE was made using the pattern in the HOTP Paper Piecing 201 book. I didn't actually make it myself - it came in a Paper Wishes Message Board embellishment exchange with IslandGirl way back in August of 2010!
- DAZZLES - I had to really scrounge to find some Dazzles that would work for this layout. They make some wonderful ones that I don't have, but I finally remembered the sheet of "Tropical Christmas" Dazzles. I cut the holly off a couple of shells & colored the gold with brown StazOn ink. It wasn't as dark as I wanted so I added a darker brown marker & heat embossed it with clear embossing powder to make sure it didn't smear. Then I backed one with blue & one with pink. I also added the small seahorse from that set - but left it gold.
- OTHER - I did add 3 little pieces that are not from PW - layered shell stickers I got from the Dollar Store.