Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, August 16, 2016

SWEET!


Today's Bible journaling is from Ezekiel, and you can read more about that here.  As usual, on this blog, I'm focused on the techniques used to create the page.

I was really caught by the imagery of eating a scroll filled with "lamentations, mournings, and woe" that tasted like honey - so decided to create a scroll that morphed into a honeycomb.  This was the result (though I wish I had thought to put the scroll over the actual verses to highlight them - rather than just highlighting them in the same color as I did here).

Scroll & Honey: After preparing the page with clear gesso (Art Basics), I started by drawing the scroll on some tracing paper (really incredibly easy to do - look for u-tube tutorials for some easy how-to's - just a couple of curved lines with curls, some straight lines & your done).  Next I drew the honeycomb and dripping honey in the lower right corner.  When this was the way I wanted it, I scribbled on the back of the lines with a soft pencil, then placed it where I wanted it on the page & drew over the lines to transfer the image to my page.  I used a couple of colors of shimmery acrylic paint (Delta) to color my scroll (watering down as needed with my brush to get the effect I wanted).  When it was dry, I outlined it with a black fine-line Sharpie and wrote the words, "lamentations, mourning, woe" on the scroll, and "honey" on the puddle of honey. 

Highlight Text: After finishing the scroll, I decided to highlight the text that the picture referred to - using the same combination of colors I used for the scroll (which was when I realized it would have been nice to have used the scroll here instead! - a bit late for that idea, though. :) )

Background Color:  I decided this bluish Glimmer Mist (sea glass) would be great for the background, but before spraying it, I first cut masks for my artwork and covered it so the spray wouldn't affect it.

Title/Text: Using a fine-point Sharpie, I added the words - hand-drawn.

Bee: As I looked at the page, there was an empty space between the words and the artwork, and the page didn't feel complete.  I realized that talking about sweet coming from painful circumstances, could relate to the bee and it's stinger, and decided I wanted to add a bee.  I had this lovely stamp from HOTP (one of their "Small Stamps"), but knew stamping over what I already had wouldn't work well.  So I decided to stamp in on a piece of my tracing paper!!!  After stamping it and coloring it with my Scroll & Brush markers (and letting it dry), I fussy cut it and glued it to the page with clear gesso! :)  As you can see, it worked well, and had the added benefit that I could go over little pieces with the gesso - kind of like decoupage - to ensure the tracing paper wouldn't come loose.

No comments: