Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, March 28, 2011

Hiding Brad Legs

Today's tip comes from the challenge of adding a brad to a card at the last minute and having to figure out how to hide the brad legs.

First, though, a tip about doing wavy paper weaving.  This card was made in response to a challenge on the Paper Wishes Message board.  We were challenged to include weaving on our object.  I had never done wavy weaving before and thought it looked cool.  Only 2 things are required that are different from regular weaving:  you cut your strips with wavy lines rather than straight, and you have to keep track of the proper order so the strips are woven right next to the one that was cut beside it, so the wavy edges line up. 

For my first try at this I wanted to make it as easy on myself as possible, so I started with a printed blank card from Hot Off the Press.  I cut wavy lines in the front of the card only, from the bottom edge of the card to the fold.  Stopping at the fold meant that all of these strips were held in place by the solid back of the card, so they were easily all in proper order.  Then I took a piece of adhesive-backed cardstock (used an adhesive-backed matstack in this case) and cut it to the size of the card.  I then cut my wavy strips (horizontally this time) one at a time, removing the paper backing to expose the adhesive on each one and weaving it into place before cutting the next wavy strip.  The adhesive backing made sure they stayed in place.  I finished it off by cutting a piece of thin white cardstock and gluing it in place on the inside of the card (to cover up all the remaining adhesive on the strips!). 

When I was finished, it reminded me of car racing, so I searched to find something related to that to finish off the card.  What I finally found was some artwork from www.scrapbookflair.com which I printed out and used.  I glued it as you see on a red circle, and added "Happy Birthday" peel offs.  A white strip with yellow down the center and red stamped words "celebrate" helped to finish it off.  But it just needed something more.  I ended up adding the ribbon and the spiral brad at the last minute to finish it off -- but this meant the brad legs showed on the inside of the card!

To hide the brad legs, I took a small strip of paper - about 1/2" by 2 1/2".  I made 3 folds, one somewhat it the center, and two 1/2" or so from the ends forming tabs.  I opened the card and glued the two tabs to the inside of the card, one on each side of the fold with the ends facing the fold so the rest of the strip formed a pop-out for the second printed car to sit on.  When the card is closed, it all folds down, but when it opens, the car pops up and hides the brad legs.  Here's a picture of the opened card with the car popped up:
It turned out pretty well.  The strip hides the brad legs from the top and the car hides them from the front.  I hope you can understand what I mean.  This is one time when it would be nice to be able to make a video to show you what I mean.  Perhaps I'll have that capability one of these days . . .

No comments: