Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, May 21, 2024

2024 National Scrapbooking Day (Month?)

Today's post showcases scrapbook pages made in response to the NSD challenges on the message board I frequent. 

There were 7 challenges for making scrapbook pages.  Several called for use of sketches from the pagemaps website. Here is what I made for the seven challenges.

Challenge #1: Favorite Crafty Snack Food 

I chose "Taco" from the list of options.  Of course, choices were made BEFORE we knew what they stood for!  It turned out that Tacos meant we were to use: cream card stock, half circles, and fibers or fringe of some sort. As you can see, I included all required elements on this page about the train to New Delhi.  I really like the paper and gold fringe that I used since they speak to the flavor of India.  I DO wish I had raised the fringe a bit higher on the page, but I was trying to use it to create a bunch more "half circles" - and then it was too late.

Challenge #2: the first of three sketch challenges

Here's the sketch - from pagemaps:

And here's my page:

As you can see, I stuck pretty close to the sketch - mostly just changed the shape of the title, though the lower blue border is a bit more elaborate than in the original sketch.  And I double-matted the focal with more narrow mats.

Challenge #3: Before/After or Then/Now

It took me awhile to come up with a project to illustrate a before and after, but I REALLY liked the result!  I decided to focus on using up some white scraps - the before would be those scraps, and the after would be the projects I created.  I had so much fun creating the projects, and they turned out great!!!  And I really like the way the scrapbook pages turned out, too.

First page:

I chose to make my "before" page pretty colorless.  Even the butterfly embellishments are simply black and white - highlighting the plain white card stock that I started with.  

2nd Page:

As you can see, the next page is VERY colorful with all the projects I made starting with plain WHITE scraps!  Colored butterfly embellishments reinforce the colorful theme of this page.

Challenge #4: This or That

Once again I had to pick before knowing what I was choosing.  I chose "Spring".  It turned out that simply meant I needed to have flowers on my layout.  You can see the dual page at the top of this post.  This is a close up of the first page - complete with die cut frog and bees (Elizabeth Craft dies - the bees came with her Honey Bear).  

Second Page:

As you can see, this page simply adds a collage of more waterlily pics - and a couple more of those die cut bees.

Challenge #5: another sketch challenge

Here is the sketch - again from pagemaps

And my resulting page:

As you can see, I modified this sketch a bit, but not too much.  I started with 2 pictures instead of three and matted them on a larger mat than shown.  The title was from a fussy cut picture of a "welcome" stone.  I chose to stencil a bit of the background because my plain card stock seemed a bit TOO plain.  Two of the embellishments are a cluster of flowers similar to what was shown - except that I moved them around a little.  The third was replaced with the hot air balloon.  I was SO glad to be able to use that hot air balloon embellishment on this page.  I had bought it thinking to use it on the next page in the album and there hadn't been room for it! 

Challenge #6 - another sketch

As you can see, this one is again from page maps.  Here's my resulting page:

I REALLY struggled with this page, and it's not my favorite.  I didn't think it would be a big deal to replace the two photos with one, but I needed it to be a bit larger than the two together and it threw the proportions off.  I liked the multicolored paper I used for the large banner - and various other places around the page - but had a TERRIBLE time finding other papers/card stock that I liked for the rest of the elements.  I used small pictures in place of the flower embellishments, and I don't think that was as effective as I'd hoped.  I really wasn't that happy with the page when I was done.  I wish the background had been lightly stenciled or something.  I ended up finding a border strip of road signs in my stash that I cut and placed along the right side of the page.  I think that helped, but I didn't take an updated picture.

Challenge #7: Pick an ANIMAL

Once again I didn't know what I was picking ahead of time.  I chose the leopard.  It turns out that meant I needed to include the following on my page: 

  • Main Colors: Yellow/Gold, Black
  • Paper/Card stock: 4 or more patterned papers, 1 or more card stock
  • General theme of photos & layout: nighttime, speed, stealth, cat - from that list I chose "cat" - specifically tigers!  The page also deals some with stealth.
  • Embellishments: Polka Dots (can be part of the patterned paper)
  • # of Photos: 1 or more

It was quite a challenge.  It took me a long time to figure out what pictures to use for this layout - decided to do a dual page layout.  

Then I had to find the patterned papers I needed.  I finally took black and white papers and inked them with distress oxide inks to get the colors I needed!  

Here are the finished pages.  I started with only papers, card stock, and printed materials (photos, journaling, title).  In the end, I decided I wanted to add some arrow brads that I had in my stash.  I decided that after taking the first photos, however, and didn't want to go to all the work to re-photograph the dual page, so just re-took the photo of page one.

Dual Page:

First Page:

2nd Page:

Re-done first page:


No comments: