Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, June 16, 2023

Materials Swap - Male

The theme for May's Materials Swap on the Message Board I frequent is "MALE".  I found this cute little dog in my stash of Hunkydory toppers (this one is from the Pop-a-Toppers "It's a Cat's and Dog's Life") and decided it would make a great focal for that theme.  I went through my stash and found an old HOTP patterned paper in the same colors as the dog - then found some aqua and blue card stock that coordinated with the topper.  I added a bit of white card stock, a bit of black ribbon, and a card base with envelope, and that was the set of materials I sent to my swap partner - and that I used to make this card.  Here's a picture of the materials:

Card Front (top of post):  I saw a card on the message board that was made something like this (without the topper, and sentiments - it just had a stamped sentiment in the middle of that central diamond shape).    It really intrigued me because it took a minute to figure out how it was laid out.  I can't speak to the original, but here's how I made this one.

I started with a 5x7 card base.  I cut two strips of the aqua that were each 1/2" x 7" and glued them to the edges.  Then I cut two strips of the tan that were 1/4" x 7" and glued them beside the aqua strips.  Then I cut a piece of the patterned paper that was 3 3/4" x 7".  I centered this and glued it in place ( it overlapped the tan strips by about an 1/8 of an inch on each side.  

Next, I cut two tan pieces that were just a smidge less than 2 3/4" square.  Then I cut 2 1/2 squares from the aqua & the blue after embossing them with MBossibilities Elite folder.  I glued the aqua piece centered on top of the tan, then cut it in half from corner to corner.  Next I glued these cut pieces top and bottom of the card as you can see, leaving the inner corners loose until I could slide the other tan square in place beneath those corners.  Then I added the blue square and had an interlocking diamond pattern running down the center of my card front.  

Time for finishing touches!  I simply added my focal with foam tape and slipped the small round sentiment underneath it.  I felt it needed something in the upper left corner, so I created the multi-matted banner with stamped sentiment (HOTP Tiny Words and Images) and added that.  Finally I tied a loose knot in a piece of narrow black ribbon and added it between the top triangle & the central diamond.  Now it was time for the . . .

Inside:


Inside I simply used scraps from the front to create a border - then added a little embellishment piece (from the same HD set).  Finally, I stamped a message using a stamp from Crafter's Companion Compendium (CCC) - from the page called Birthday-Male.

Card from HER materals:

Here are the materials my swap partner sent me:

I struggled with them a bit before making this:

I had found myself saying, "Why did she send silver card stock with this?"  Then I remembered my gears/wheels/cogs cutting dies that I got in a card making magazine, and decided they would be PERFECT.  I also used Spellbinders Edgeabilities dies - the ones called Classic Bracket - to create the border from the silver card stock & white card stock.  I also used a die from Spellbinders Splendid Circles to create the mat for the sentiment (stamped from the stamps that came with the gears/cogs/wheels).

Inside:

For the inside, I used some of the remaining elements my partner sent, some more gears/cogs/wheels die cuts, and a stamp from HOTP's Birthday Greetings set.


No comments: