Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Thursday, September 12, 2019

Wild at Heart Elephants with Horizontal Z-Fold Closure


Today's set of cards started with the "Elephant Adventures" deco set from the "Wild at Heart" card making set by Hunkydory.  This first card is called a "Horizontal Z-Fold Closure" - since it clasps closed with the focal tucking under the greeting (see above - and compare below where the card is partially opened).  The green embossed paper is from my stash - no idea where I got it! 

To gild the edges, I ran Versamark ink along the edge & then sprinkled it with "Sticky Embossing Powder" from Ranger.  Then I spread gilding flakes along the "sticky" edge that this created and burnished them to adhere them well & remove any excess.

I'll talk about the focal when I get to the inside of the card.  The border is a piece of tan card stock with a foiled border piece on top (from the HD set).  The greeting is also from the set - adhered only on the left side so the focal can slip under it.  The bow was made using an old piece of jute I had lying around.

As we open the card:


We see the hidden giraffe (also from "Wild at Heart" - but the giraffe set) & star shaped message "You're a Star!" - from the HD little book of essential greetings.  Since being unclasped, the "focal" now appears on the inside.  You can't really tell in this picture, but the focal is several layers added with foam tape - quite dimensional.  It is actually the front of a smaller attached card that opens to show:


A tan piece of card stock with the edges inked gives a place for our message.  The greeting in the upper right is from the set, the border at the bottom is from a piece of paper in my stash - not sure who made it.

The base card was created from a piece of embossed card stock that was cut to 5 1/2" x 12" - with score lines at 3" & 6" to create the fold back piece.  The inner card started as a piece that was 4 1/4" x 8 1/2" - scored at 4 1/4".  If I were to make this style of card again, I might adjust the dimensions so that it was less square (less expensive to mail) - perhaps start with a 4" x 12" so the finished card would be 4" x 6".

Next up we have this card:


Background: White paper - embossed with a Spellbinders 3-D embossing folder called "Cane Weave".  After embossing and cutting just a bit smaller than the card front, I applied ink lightly with a foam applicator - over the top of the design & around the edges.  

Borders: I cut the border from one of the card stock pieces that came in the set.  Then I trimmed a small piece of brown from the bottom & put it at the top of my card before adding the remaining piece to the bottoms of the card.  A few sequins dress it up a bit.

Focal & Sentiment: straight from the HD set except that I trimmed the water & reflection from the bottom of the elephants & fussy cut a little closer than the piece punched out.

INSIDE - as you can see, I simply cut more border from the card stock & added it with a few sequins:


My third card started with a piece of brown card stock cut to form the base for a 5" x 7" card:


I glued on of the cut outs to a piece of coordinating card stock from the set, inked the edges, and that serves as my focal AND my background.  I wrapped a piece of jute around the card at the top & tied a bow before adding a greeting (from the set).  A ribbon from my stash runs across the bottom of my card.

INSIDE - a piece of the same card stock forms a light background for writing a message.  I inked this and added another piece of ribbon at the bottom:


My 4th and final card from the elephant set is this one:


In many ways it's similar to card number 2.  The background is made with the same embossing folder & ink - just started with tan card stock instead of white paper.  I added a couple of ribbon pieces top and bottom for a border, adding sequins, a jute bow, and a sentiment from the kit.  The focal is a piece from the deco set - mounted to a piece of tan card stock & matted with strips of gold foiled card stock. 

INSIDE:


Inside is more of the same, with a little elephant die cut from the set to add a bit of interest to the inside.

No comments: