Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, September 24, 2019

TODO Foiling


I finally got some heat activated foil so I could try foiling on my TODO machine (thanks Lee!!!!).  This first card has 2 separate foiled elements.  I made these back in September, but waited to post until now, since a couple of them went to my "Secret Sister".

Hot Foil Stamp: The "Thanks" was a hot foil stamp I got from cheap from somewhere before I realized I could only use with a hot foil machine (which I didn't have at the time!).  I used a machine setting of 4 or 4.5 (tried it tighter than that and it cut through the card stock & messed up my A plate). It was created on black card stock with silver foil.

Impressabilities: The foiled pattern was also created on black card stock with silver foil, but this time I used a Spellbeinders "Impressabilities" embossing stencil called "Floral & Stone".  This worked best at a machine setting of 1.5 - 2.  (I also tried placing the leftover foil directly on my TODO machine and covering it with black card stock.  It worked somewhat - needed to be set at 1 - 1.5.



Another Cutting Die: Next up is a Christmas card. The green foiling on white was another one using a die I had in my stash (from Gemini Crafter's Companion).  


It's always hard to really see what something looks like when the materials are shiny, but this one is particularly challenging!  I paired the foiled piece with holographic wrapping paper in red & green & a "holly confetti" set that I had in my stash.  The ornaments are die cuts from Spellbinders dies (2012 Holiday Tree, and 2013 Heirloom Ornaments).  The sentiment is Hunkydory from my stash.

The inside is more of the same - but no foiling.




Cutting Die - My last card was made using a Spellbinder's "Bonsai Tree" die to create the foiling (machine set at 4 - 4.5).  I LOVE how this tree turned out!


The tree is so delicate & shiny in real life!  Pictures certainly do NOT do this card justice.  In addition to the foiled tree that I created with my TODO machine, there is foiled tag board and foiled patterned paper (both came that way).  The card is simply beautiful (if I DO say so myself!).  Creation was pretty straight forward:

Background - I got this beautiful gold-foiled paper in a paper swap.  I cut just a little smaller than my card blank & inked the edges in black before gluing in place.  

Frame - cut/embossed with 2 dies from gold tag board.

Leaves - Confetti pieces from a Thanksgiving mixture

Greeting - outline stickers 

INSIDE: more of the same - once again no home done foiling on the inside, though there is foiling on the patterned paper..



I made this Thanksgiving card for my Secret Sister & sent her a card stock piece with the same foiled tree on it.  Here's a picture of the card "bootsie" made using it:

Isn't it gorgeous!

Here are some Hot Foiling Tips I picked up as I was playing with my TODO:
  1. Cut the smallest piece of foil you can get away with.  Excess foil sometimes transfers.
  2. Set the dial to the least pressure you can get away with, and hold the plates as you crank them through.  This will help reduce "shifting" which can mess up your foiled image.
  3. Make sure your plate is hot & give the stamp/die time to warm up too before adding the foil & paper.  If foiling multiple items, check the light each time before starting.

No comments: