Here the image was stamped with black ink. Then I added color with metallic gel pens. Though a few areas were left white and I colored those in, I also colored directly on the black. This shows up pretty well, depending on your pen and the color used. Here I used a variety of light and dark colors. In the picture, I think the blue, red, and gold (on nest & words) show up pretty well. What you may not be able to see (but what shows pretty well in person) is that I colored green over the leaves and a darker brownish color on the branches. These bits of color really dress up what could have been a much more boring black and white silhouette look.
The focal was cut with Resplendent Rectangles die set, and the mat behind it was cut with a fancy-edged blade on my paper cutter.
Here's another card made in a similar way. I added a bit of fiber to the border and wove it along one edge of the focal.