Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, August 13, 2012

Sneek Peek - WOW!


Today I'm giving you a sneek peek at the guest challenge I'll be posting on the Paper Wishes Message board on Wednesday.  While at Paper Wishes the acronym, WOW, usually stands for "Week of Webisodes", for this challenge it stands for "White on White." I've been seeing quite a few of these White on White cards popping up in a variety of places on the internet.  I have no idea who first started the trend, but I find them to be SO elegant, I just HAD to try it myself.  The concept is simple -- use only white (except perhaps for a touch of black or silver for the sentiment)!  Obviously for that to not be boring, you need to focus on texture.

#1 Love - This first example has a LOT of layers.  It started with the border cut with a Reflections die from Cheery Lynn (you could also use a border punch to get a similar effect.  Next I put a piece I had embossed in an embossing folder. Then came a lattice piece (cut from a lattice die, of course).  I think the "Punch It" punches would be great for this.  Next I layered a portion of a cut/embossed piece from my Marianne Designable folder. I then cut a fancy label, added a dazzle greeting and liquid pearls, and put it on with pop-dots for added dimension.  I finished the card with a layered flower held together with a mini-brad with punched fern-type leaves surrounding it.


#2 Wedding Wishes - This one is a bit less elaborate, but still very elegant.  The main background on this card is a simple embossed dot, created with an embossing folder.  The side border was punched with a Multi-punch called "Marta".  The sentiment, (Wedding Wishes with two doves) is created with a stencil and dimensional paint applied to a pre-cut and embossed piece of paper.  Across the top edge there is a row of ribbon, topped with a layer of punch-outs (these were the "innies" from a lattice die cut, but any punch-outs would work). These punch-outs were each topped with a dot of Liquid Pearls.  The flower is several layers of a silk flower I got from Paper Wishes and held together with a large brad that was topped with the words "live, laugh, love" (petite Dazzles stickers).  A delicate ribbon bow completes the card.


#3 Thank You - This final card was designed to demonstrate that one can make a lovely white on white card without a lot of expensive tools like dies and embossing folders.  This one starts with the lower edge of the card being cut with a punch.  I used the Tiara Multi-punch, but one could just as easily cut it with a paper cutter or decorative-edged scissors if you don't have a border punch.  The center part of the card is a piece of glimmer paper that I scored every 1/4".  While it's certainly easier to use a scoreboard to do this, it is not necessary.  You can use a ruler and stylus to create the same effect.  Above and below this strip of scored paper, I added some white Stitched Border Dazzles.  A piece from the White Doily Dazzles set is placed on white glimmer paper and fussy cut around the edge.  A silver Dazzles Greeting completes the focal which is attached to the front with foam squares to give it a bit more dimension.

So there you have 3 examples of this technique.  What can YOU use to make a WOW statement?  Here are some ideas (in no particular order):
  • scoring
  • dry embossing with stencils and/or embossing folders
  • heat embossing
  • die cuts
  • pergamano techniques
  • liquid pearls, stickles, enamel accents, etc.
  • quilling
  • flowers, including various 3-d, folded, and layered flowers
  • rhinestones and pearls
  • lace
  • white Dazzles or other stickers
  • die cuts
  • ribbon
  • doilies
  • stitching
  • paper piercing
  • fun flock, glitter, FlowerSoft, etc.
  • punches
 What other things do you think of?  I'd love to hear your ideas.

3 comments:

Karenliz Henderson said...

Cheryl, your cards are stunning. I have seen many WOW cards too. I have not try it yet. Your cards are beautiful.

Carol J said...

Cheryl, absolutely gorgeous ! I love the WOW; I have made one for a wedding card, with a touch of red. I love your first card with swirl emboss and cut folder. I have been waiting for PW to get it back in stock and unfortuately I got an email today saying that it wasn't going to be available - ever. A bummer because I just love that particular one.

Cheryl said...

Thanks!

Carol, sorry you weren't able to get that folder. I know what you must be feeling about that as there was another one that I wanted and it too is no longer available. It's really too bad as they are so nice!