Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Challenging Papers Part 5 - Castles














This pair of scrapbook pages was made using paper from a "Once Upon a Time" set of papers that I was given.  I don't have much to scrap that relates to princes and princesses and castles (maybe one or two pages of a star-eyed little girl dressed up like a princess), so even though the pages are pretty, I wasn't sure what I could do with them.

One of the principles for using Challenging papers is to look at the colors - not just the theme of the paper.  In this case, the colors looked very vintage to me and I decided they would make the perfect backdrop for these heritage album pages.  I positioned the photos such that the more obvious castle turrets aren't very visible (you can see a little on the 2nd page) and become more like buildings seen while the newlyweds explored the city around them.

Here's what I did:
  • 12 x 12 pages were cut to 8 1/2 x 11 - with selvage edge on different sides so the pages are not identical.
  • Center page borders were cut from leftovers of the 12 x 12 pages.
  • The titles were cut from cream-colored card stock with my Silhouette and glued to the borders.
  • The ovals were cut from the background paper with a Spellbinders Nestability die and from the cream-colored card stock in a smaller size (which was then glued BEHIND the background paper).  The tricky part was figuring out how to cut the 8 1/2 x 11 background paper in my Big Shot!  I did it by cutting the paper in half, cutting my holes, and then taping the paper back together - then gluing the border (described above) over top of the join!
  • The circle within the square was made by mounting black cardstock behind a square hole cut with a square Nestability die.  Then another Spellbinders die was used to cut the cream-colored decorative circle.  Since I don't have the circular nestabilities yet, I had to cut the center out of the decorative circle by hand so the photo could show through.
  • All photos were mounted BEHIND the page using photo corners with the sticky side UP.

No comments: