Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, September 30, 2022

August Materials Swap - Summer

I really do enjoy the materials swaps that we do on the message board I frequent.  It's fun to see what two different people do with the same materials.  The theme this time was "SUMMER".   One of the things I think about in the summertime is kids playing, so the materials I gathered started with that - a little girl playing tea party out in the garden.  Here's a picture of the materials I put together for each kit:

The tea party picture is from a Hunkydory square little book called Childhood Dreams.  Then I had to find things to go with it!  In addition to the card blank, I added the following from my stash: some gold metallic poster board, a blue marble paper, and a green striped paper.  It's hard to see in the picture, but in the little baggie is a Hunkydory Die Cut from a Pop-a-Topper set called Fabulous Florals, a piece of wide blue transparent ribbon, a "Just Because" die cut (Stacked Just Because from Creative Expressions), and nine gold sequins.

Card Front (above): You can see the front of my card at the top of this post.  I must admit that I'm finding the Childhood Dreams set a bit challenging, but I finally settled on doing what you see in the picture.  I had to lay everything out carefully before gluing it down so that I could be sure I had what I needed.  

First, I decided I would use a couple of dies (Spellbinders Labels Eight) to cut out the party table with guests, and then the girl.  Obviously this meant that the girl would have a piece cut out of her, but it would be covered up with the tea party piece.  

Next, I worked on making mats for my die cut pieces.  I used a rectangular die to cut out a piece from the large piece of gold poster board that would be big enough for mats for my tea party pieces - making sure that it would be hidden behind the little book page.  Then I used the same dies I used to create the tea party pieces for the gold - this time flipping the poster board to the back side and tracing around the outside the two dies (one inside the other).  I then fussy cutting them to create mats and glued the die cut pieces to their mats. (Hint - if you need to get started cutting something in the middle of the page and don't want to cut through the outside, use a very small round punch near the edge you wish to cut - punching enough times to give you a good starting point.)

Now I was ready to assemble my card: 

1) Aligned the big gold piece (from which I cut the mats), making sure it was the same size as the card front - trimming as necessary.  Applied adhesive to the back of the gold piece, and then wrapped the piece of ribbon around the lower (non-cut) portion, adhering it to the back of the piece.  Add some more adhesive & add to the card front - carefully aligning it to fit.

2) Glued what remained of the tea party picture in place, then layered it with the matted die cut pieces - using foam tape to adhere.

3) Glued the die cut greeting in place on the ribbon & added the sequins in the top left and lower right corners with a bit of gold Liquid Pearls.

Inside:

For the inside, I cut the green patterned paper so the card would form a wide white border.  Then I die cut the center of it using the same die set used on the card front.  I backed this with a piece of the blue marble paper and cut narrow gold strips to fit top and bottom.  Then I glued all in place and added the little pop-a-topper die cut piece.  It will be interesting to see what my swap partner does with these materials.

No comments: