Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

Thursday, January 17, 2013

With Sympathy

It sure seems like I've been needing to send a fair number of sympathy cards lately - too many deaths among family & friends.  As I've mentioned before, I like to have quite a few made ahead as there may not be much advanced warning that they'll be needed.  However, I don't put a sentiment inside the card.  I have a bunch of possible sentiments printed up and ready to insert, and a bunch of cards made up without a sentiment inside.  This way, when the need arises, I can choose a card front to match the recipient, and then choose a sentiment that says what I want to say for that particular person.

However, in this particular case, I needed two cards, and only one of the two I had left would work. So, I needed another quick sympathy card - which you see above.

I started with the focal, using a scrap piece of glossy cardstock.  Using a stamp I had previously made for myself using my Stampmaker and a design from the CD "Card Greetings & Sentiments" (from Hot Off the Press), I stamped it with embossing ink and then heat embossed it with clear embossing powder.  Next, I colored over it with alcohol inks (Stream and Silver Mixative) using a pouncing motion with my applicator.  Then I came back with some of the alcohol blending solution on a piece of paper towel and removed the ink from on top of the embossed areas, so the white showed through nicely. Then I cut out my focal using a Spellbinder's die - then dry embossed the edge using the same die.

I decided to dry emboss the front of the card directly.  This is where my Grand Caliber machine comes in so handy!  I was able to just open the card, position my embossing folder where I wanted, and run it through.  In this case, I actually ran the card through twice, because my folder was smaller than the card front.  I simply lined up my folder with the last motif that had been embossed and ran it through again - worked great!

I had a squarish shape of turquoise color-core cardstock that I had previously die cut using a Marvelous Squares die and then embossed with the same embossing folder that I used for the card front.  I had then lightly sanded it to help the pattern stand out more.  I cut this in quarters to form corner embellishments, then trimmed the front edge with scalloped scissors to coordinate with the focal.

I wanted a wide band for the focal to sit on, but didn't like the patterned papers I tried with it so started going through my stash of ribbon and lace looking for something suitable.  I came across this scrap and thought it went perfectly.  I added a little 1/2" glitter ribbon on top, and glued everything together.  I added the focal using foam tape for added dimension.

No comments: