Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, September 11, 2023

Ugly Papers Round 2

While the last "ugly paper" I worked with grew on me as I used it, the same was not true of this paper!

I'm not that enamored with the pattern, but the colors are REALLY difficult.  I'm not sure how you can have bright colors that are subdued at the same time, but that's what you have here.  And trying to match or coordinate colors with them was VERY challenging. I had already used part of the paper for another card (see this post), so got a total of 6 cards from this sheet - 5 in this post.  What a CHALLENGE!  Here are the remaining 5 cards:

Card #1:

This card is one of the two that I actually like - and it actually uses 2 of my "ugly papers".  The other one used here is this one:

As you can probably see, I used some of it for the background on this card - after matting it in black.  Then I took 3 strips of the weird flowered paper, matted them with black, and glued in place across the width of the card as you can see.  Then I went looking for a focal.  Part of the reason these cards were so challenging was that I really couldn't stamp and color a focal because the colors were so weird I had nothing that would match them - or even coordinate well.  I found the focal on a recycled card front that had been sent to my grandmother.  The border around the oval was bright purple, and it had a bright fat yellow checked bow on it that mostly hid the flowers in the wheel barrow - but it seemed to go fairly well except for those two problems.  So, I did some surgery!  I first cut a black mat the same size as the focal - then cut off the purple & replaced it with the black mat.  Next, I removed the yellow bow and replaced it with the black - making sure the flowers came in front of it, so they could be seen.  Then I went looking in my stash for a sentiment & came up with this one that goes perfectly!  It's from a Debbi Moore freebie download.

Inside:

The stamped message inside is from Crafter's Companion Compendium (CCC) the page called With Sympathy.  The border is created from a strip of each paper - matted in black once again.

Card #2:

I struggled so much to find ways to create interest with this paper.  This time I paired it with a yellow patterned paper and yellow card stock.  I also added punched borders using cream colored card stock and the Martha Stewart border punch called Cherish.  As you can see, for this card, I fussy cut a bunch of the flowers from the paper, added a fussy cut butterfly (freebie download from somewhere that was in my stash), and a stamped sentiment.

Inside:

Inside I added strips of several papers to form a border - and stamped a CCC sentiment from the page called Thank You.

Card #3:

This card is made in a similar way as the last one - with a pink patterned paper and pink card stock for the borders (same punch as last time).  I found another sentiment piece in my stash & added a few more fussy cut flowers.  Then I stamped "Happy Birthday!" using a stamp from a freebie birthday set I got from Our Daily Bread Designs (now called Divinity Designs). I added a small butterfly sticker towards the bottom right corner - to cover up a mess that was made by stray glue that didn't want to be removed without removing color from the paper.

Inside:

After adding strips of the papers & punched border like we had on the card front, I stamped a message to complete the inside.  The stamp was also from CCC - this time the page called Birthday Female.

Card #4:

I liked the way the paper looked with pink, so made another using pink & black card stock.  As you can see, I cut the patterned paper into strips and glued them in place before adding another piece of matted pink for the focal.  To this, I added a strip of black, a sticker sentiment (which I inked to subdue the white which just seemed out of place) and a couple of flowers from my stash.

Inside:

Inside is a simple border using the two card stock colors & a small piece of the patterned paper.  I'm sure I will stamp a message at some point, but was too tired to figure out what message would be best!

Card #5:

I think I like this card the best of all the ones I made with this paper - but it was a REAL challenge.  The flowers are stamped and die cut (Botanical Blooms from HOTP) - then fussy cut to remove the white around them - then colored (which was the hard part!) and placed on a black mat.  Finding colors that even would blend okay with the background was SO HARD!  I ended up using 4 different markers from my Scroll & Brush set (Wheat, Aubergine, Spice, and Baby Pink) which I scribbled on my craft sheet & picked up with my water brush.  It took a lot of work to combine the colors in a way that I thought would work, but I think the effort was worth it.  I liked the narrow border with tan - and tan for the sentiment (which is stickers from my stash), but I didn't have enough.  I finally found a slightly darker glittered card stock which blended well enough to mat the large background.  As you can see, I used multiple mats for this card.  Even though the mats were mostly pretty narrow, having black, white, and tan together seemed critical to making this card look good.

Inside:

I don't like the inside as well.  The darker glitter card stock doesn't brighten things as much, but I think it will be okay if I go back and color another couple of stamped flowers, mat them with black, & put on each flowered element on the borders.  Then when I add a stamped sentiment, I think all will be well.

No comments: