Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Wednesday, September 13, 2023

More Ugly Papers

Today I have more makes using up my "ugly" papers.  Some makes turn out better than others, but it's a fun challenge to see what I can come up with!   Here's a look at the paper I started with:

It's a 12" by 12" sheet that looks MUCH better at a distance than it does up close!  I really don't care for the distressed look, but if you like it, you might like this paper, too.  Anyway,  here are some of the cards that I made using this paper.  (I already made another card that used this paper.  Check out Ugly Papers Round 2 post.)  I'll show you several more here (I had TWO sheets!).

Card #1:

The first card I made was a square card.  I simply used a large cutting die (With Heartfelt Thanks by Card Making Magic) to create the front panel and glued it in place.

Inside:

 

I used the same die set to cut the center out of this paper and give me a place for stamped greetings.  These were from Crafter's Companion Compendium (CCC) page called Thank You.

Card #2:

As you'll see as I share the cards I made from this paper, the colors in it varied widely.  Here I used red to mat the small squares I cut from one portion of the paper - though I could not have used that color on other pieces of the same paper!  The focal is a floral selection from my stash - leftover from a card kit.  The stamp is from the CCC With Sympathy page.

Inside:

The same sort of matted squares help form a border on the inside - along with some more of the flower leftovers.  The stamped message is another from CCC's With Sympathy.

Card #2:

This card uses paper from the same sheet, but an orchid/lavender color is what felt best to go with this section.  I glued the patterned paper to an embossed piece (HOTP Leafy Vine) of white card stock before wrapping the lavender ribbon around either end of it.  After gluing the entire panel to the card front, I added 3 little bees that I found in my stash - attaching them with little foam dots.

Inside:

I did something similar to create a border on the inside, using a merlot colored ink to stamp the sentiment (CCC Thinking of You page).

Card #3:

Okay, this isn't the card - but is the piece I expected to use on the card.  However, it looked too plain.  So, I decided to emboss it (Cuttlebug's Anna Griffin Rosa) - and it didn't help.  In fact, I ended up putting it in the embossing folder wrong so I got a debossed look - not the end of the world, but didn't help the ugly paper I started with! As I was contemplating what to do, I suddenly got a look at the other side of the paper:

Such a pretty embossed pattern on the white back side of the patterned paper!  I liked that so much better that I decided to use it to make my card:

As you can see, I simply added a dark pink mat and a die cut greeting (Creative Expressions Stacked Happy Birthday) and called it good.  I wish that I had thrown on a ribbon border with bow, but it's too late now.

Inside:

I finised the inside with scrap border strips and a stamped message (CCC - Birthday Female).

Card #4:

Another card, another matting color.  As you can see, this section of paper looks really good with brown matting.  I started by cutting strips and matting them to use for the background.  I then was able to use a square piece (cut from the center of the paper removed by the die cut on the inside of the first card), turned on point to look like a diamond, to form the backdrop for the focal sentiment (die cut using 2-dies from Thinking of You Word Dies by Card Making Magic - words from scrap of card base, shadow from the same matting brown card stock).  I thought about using a white card base, but it just didn't look good on that.  Then I tried cream colored - no better.  Finally I found a light lavender piece of card stock in my stash that went relatively well - and made the card base from that.

Inside:

Once again, I used brown to mat an additional strip of patterned paper to form a border inside.  Then I stamped a message (from CCC's Birthday Female).

Card #5:

I really had a hard time working with this paper.  It was the same section of paper as card #2 above (remember I had two sheets of it).  I found myself staring at the yellow centers of the flowers saying to myself, "those sure are ugly - wish they weren't there".  Then it hit me.  I could simply slice them out!  So, that's what I did.  It left me with two sort of triangles as you see in the card.  After inking the edges, I glued them to a white panel and then wrapped blue-lavender ribbons to create a border on the inside edges. It took me quite a long time to find a piece of card stock that would blend well enough to use as a mat for that created topper.  After gluing it in place on the mat, I added a bow, a silver jewel dazzle, and a stamped sentiment (JustRite's Celebrate Today Vintage Label Four).

Inside:

 
Inside is another strip of paper wrapped with ribbon for a border.  I also added a silver Jewel Dazzle on the ribbon.  The sentiment is stamped using a CCC stamp from their Celebrate page.

By this time I was down to just a few little pieces left.  Ordinarily I would have found a way to use them to make a card, but since the colors really didn't go together (even though it was all from the same pages) I decided to just let them go.  6 cards (remember one was in a previous post) from two 12 x 12 sheets of card stock doesn't seem like that much, I was VERY happy to have use up this paper!

No comments: