Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Sunday, September 10, 2023

Ugly Papers Challenge

 
I just got a pack of paper for my birthday.  Many of the designs are GORGEOUS - pretty patterns - quite a few even have foiling.  However, there are some papers that I find myself wondering "why on earth did they include these? They're UGLY!"  I've set myself a challenge to use those papers FIRST. Today I have 4 cards made from 1 sheet of "ugly" paper.  Here's the paper I started with:


Now, "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure many people will think this paper pretty, but when I was leafing through, this was one that jumped out at me as being "ugly".  I'll admit, that when after using it to make cards, I actually found myself liking it more than I thought I would!  I made 4 cards with this sheet of paper - 3 slim line and one 5 x 7.  Now, I know I could have gotten a lot more cards if I had used the paper more sparingly or made A2 sized cards, but the point was to USE IT UP - so why bother with that? 😉  Here are the cards that I made, in no particular order.

Card #1:

As you can see, this first card is a landscape slimline card.  After inking the edges and gluing the background in place, I started working on the border.  I had a piece of leftover card stock from making the card base, but I wanted a purple piece that would pick up the colors in the patterned paper.  SO, I ended up using 3 different types and colors of layered ink - Picked Raspberry Distress Oxide, Dusty Concorde Distress Ink, and a Gray Granite from Stampin Up.  I had the stamped sentiment strip in my stash (my Mom's stamp/die set) but it was on white, so I inked it to make it a more cream color.  Finally, I added a couple of 3-D butterfly stickers that I got at the Dollar Store.  

Inside:

Inside I have more of the same - added a butterfly trail with a dark purple marker.

Card #2:

Here's the one 5 x 7 that I made - very simple - This time I matted the patterned paper with card stock I found in my stash.  I also used that card stock to form the mat for the tag that I cut to hold the greeting (stamped with a HOTP stamp from their Tags & Trims set).  The ribbon is one of my crepe ribbons - I hate to use them because they're not easy to replace and I LOVE them.  I DID think it added to this card, though.

Inside:

Inside is more of the same - as with all of these cards, I expect to stamp a message on the inside of the card, but I ran out of mojo and wanted to get these posted!

Card #3:

This is the one slimline in this set that is vertical.  I usually make vertical cards, so it's a bit surprising that all but one is landscape - but I supposed it's because I felt the patterned paper forced the issue.  Anyway, as you can see, I didn't even ink the edges on this card front - wish I had. The ribbon is another crepe ribbon - love those ribbons!  The sentiment is a die cut from my stash.  It was white, but I used ink to color it before inking the edges in purple & stamping the sentiment (May May Made It - Your Faith is Showing).

Inside:

There's not much to the inside of this card - just leftover scraps used for borders.  I DID ink the edges, and will stamp a message when I get around to it.

Card #4:

This last one was not cut correctly, so I ended up having to cut and extend the paper.  The multi-ribbon border covers that.  It's hard to see in the picture, but the border is actually 3 ribbons stacked on top of each other - a wide purple, a green, and a silver.  The sentiment was already stamped, but I cut shaped the ends and inked it to get the color I wanted.  The flower & bird were leftovers from a previous project.

Inside:


Once again, the inside is pretty simple - an inked patterned paper strip border.

I really have been pleasantly surprised to see how pretty these cards turned out to be when I started with paper that I thought was "ugly". 😁



No comments: