Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Saturday, September 16, 2023

Ugly Papers PLUS

Today I'm using another "Ugly Paper", but this time, I went looking through my stash until I found another patterned paper and some solids that looked decent with it.  Since most of my ugly papers are NOT double sided, it's been a bit challenging, but this time I decided to pick another pattern and use it as if it were the back side of my paper so that I could mimic some of the YouTube videos that I had been seeing.  I started out assuming I would just copy those, but I'm not good at copying!  So, some look a little like the cards here, and for the rest I was definitely doing my own thing!  Also note that all of these cards are 5 x 7 sized rather than A2.  Focals, sentiments & embellishments mostly came from Hunkydory's Pop-a-Topper book of Ladies Choice - I noted in the descriptions below where something else was used..

Here's a picture of the ugly paper I started with:

But I added a pretty light aqua stitched patterned paper, and several solid colors - aqua, teal, navy, tan, and gray.  And here are the cards that I made.

Card #1: 

This is one of the cards that was made using something similar to the template shown in the video - however, I cut my diagonals from squares that were 4 1/2" square rather than 4".  I also chose to make it look like my pieces were matted (though in actual fact the mats were just the rectangles around the whole card).  What looks like mats on the diagonals were actually just narrow strips I glued in place.  I also used a leftover piece of the narrow strip to create a "ribbon" to hang the greeting.

Inside:

Using leftover strips of papers and card stock, I created this layered border - and then added another embellishment.

Card #2:

I created the basic card fronts using my papers and card stock before I knew what I was going to use for focals, etc.  Sometimes that means that the end product is quite different than what I had originally envisioned.  This one is a case in point.  The background with the ugly paper is actually matted strips of it with space between - but you can't see that because of the large focal that covers that space!  I had a square of teal card stock that I had cut out from behind something and it turned out to be a great mat for the focal when turned on point.  The framed focal was glued directly to the card, but the sentiment was added with foam tape.

Inside:

Once again, the inside is simply a border created with some of the papers I'd been using.  Another die cut element from the Pop-a-Topper pad adds interest.  I'm sure I'll stamp something inside, once I've decided what I want to say.

Card #3:

While I thought the first card was interesting with it's diagonal shapes, I thought it was also fun to do the same thing with both pieces from the same paper.  Once again, the diagonals a "matted" by gluing narrow strips in place.  So much easier - and less waste besides.  

Inside:

This time I used the narrow strips not only to mat the top and bottom of the triangular piece, but also as a narrow border from which my little embellishment hangs.  As you can see, I added some ribbon from my stash to make the embellishment more interesting.

Card #4:

I can't decide whether the card I showed at the top of this post (Card #2) is the one I like best of these, or if this one is.  This card uses what I think of as my "go to" sketch - a focal above, with a sentiment/border below.  This time the focal is one piece, and the sentiment area is multiple papers with a simple greetings.

Inside:

I really like the inside of this card as well.  The light colored panel looks so good with the border strips, greeting, and embellishment.

Card #5:

Here I have another from my "go to sketch".  This time, instead of Hunkydory Pop-a-Toppers, I used a Hunkydory Little Book (LB) page for my focal - this one from the Little Book of Memorable Moments.  The "ugly" paper serves as a background with a plain green card stock mat on top.  I cut the LB page down so it fit in the upper portion of the mat.  I then cut a piece of plain navy for the bottom portion.  Finally, I added a greeting that was die cut (Card Making Magic - 5x7 Card & Box set) from white card stock.

Inside:

Inside I used scraps of all three to form borders surrounding the blank space I left for adding a message - either stamped or hand-written when I decide to whom this card will be sent.

So, I have FIVE 5x7 cards made using this paper - some with pieces of coordinating patterned paper, some just with card stock added, but all have something added beside focal/sentiment/embellishments.

No comments: