Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Saturday, January 16, 2021

Scrappy Slimline

In my quest to use up a bunch of scraps, I've also gone through my stash of stuff to "up-cycle" and chosen ones from which I could envision making cards.  Then I arranged them into standard card shapes that I thought would work well for them.  Today I show you the last two of the slimline series before moving on to the next card size.

Card #1 (above):  The focal came from a greeting card.  I started with the light green for the base card, but it split too badly when I scored & folded it.  So, I went with plan B - which I think turned out better anyway!  I cut the card base into panels to use on a black card base that held up better to the scoring & folding.  Then I just made use of scraps in my stash to mat my focal & decorate the front panel.  The sentiment was a JustRite stamp from the "With Sympathy" set.  The butterfly was from the dollar store & I added little dots of adhesive vinyl for a butterfly trail.

Inside:

I didn't have left over pieces of the focal to bring to the inside, so chose a piece that had been scavenged from a calendar.  I had a gold die cut that I wanted to use for the mat (cut with a Spellbinder's Scalloped Squares die), but it was SQUARE - and I didn't like the way it looked.  SO, I sliced it and overlapped part of it to make it shorter - then covered the "join" with black washi tape.  In real life a quick glance makes you think it's a ribbon there.  I brought a piece of the yellow from the front & some black strips to add to the green panel on the inside.  I turned the flowers at an angle so the inside wouldn't look quite so "stiff".  I often like to leave space for a personal message on the inside of my card - which is what I did here.

Card #2:

This was a really interesting one to work with.  I had a really narrow piece of a calendar or magazine or something that had a couple of trees, but nothing that really stood out as a focal.  It was also a bit narrow for this card. I had a couple of things I tried to add as a focal, but nothing was working.  Suddenly I remembered these little birds I had stamped/die cut/colored from Heartfelt Creations (Woodsy Treescape/Woodsy Landscape) and had sitting in my stash ready to be used.  They looked okay in the trees, but how to make a focal?  As you can see, I die cut the most colorful bird with a portion of the tree (Spellbinders' Labels Three).  I wanted it to have pointed corners but not be simply square or rectangular - this fit the bill.  I found some scraps of orange that were about the same color as the bird's breast & used it to add some interest.  The light colored mat is a scrap of wallpaper.  I had some fairly large scraps of green that coordinated well with the trees, so added that. The greeting is from a download - I think Debbi Moore, but not sure.

Inside:

Fortunately when I die cut the mat for the focal on the front of the card, I decided to cut it from the center of the small square scrap (thinking it could be used for a mat for something that way).  It was all I had left of this color and I really wanted to bring it into the inside.  It worked great as a frame for the message inside (stamp from JustRite's Good Friends Labels Twenty-Nine) - and another little bird finished it off nicely.  Oh yea, I did a bit of pen work on the frame & on the mat on the outside of the card.  I left the bottom of this card blank because I wanted space to write a personal message.

No comments: