Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Saturday, May 11, 2019

Happy Mother's Day


Well, today's card is a little different.  I always like to do something special when I make a card for my Mother since she also creates cards.  This is one that sort of evolved.  The "belly band you see in the picture above is not really a separate belly band like you often see (and like might have been better used here - except that I wanted to make sure it stayed in place to hide the message).  This is just a couple strips of card stock that are attached to the back of the card.  I punched holes in the ends, threaded a piece of ribbon through each side & glued it to the back of the "belly band" before covering it with the patterned paper.


Card Front:
  • Background: The background papers are old HOTP papers.  I covered the card with the diagonal striped paper.  Next I cut two white strips of light-weight card stock for the borders.  I added slightly smaller strips of a coordinating patterned paper to the white card stock borders before adding them to the card.
  • Focal: The focal is stamped with a HOTP stamp from the Janie's Girls set. After coloring it with watercolor pencils & a water brush, I hand drew the lettering for her sign.  She was cut out & frame embossed with a Spellbinder's die from the Tile Works A2 Card Creator set.  I also used the die as a stencil to add color to the frame. After gluing in place on a mat (scrap of printed glossy card stock), I added some sticky-backed "jewels" before creating the "secret".
  • Secret: The reason for the belly band is that the center piece is a bit loose - so that it can stand up like an easel card (the card also opens like a normal card).  This was created by folding a strip of cardstock and gluing it to the focal & to the card front in such a way that it can stand up as you see here (sorry I didn't take a picture of the mechanism!):


As you can see, there's a tag added with foam tape that the easel can rest against to keep it upright.

Here's the INSIDE of the card:


  • Borders: The borders are made with scraps of the patterned papers & white card stock.
  • Sentiment: I stamped the verse using a stamp from JustRite's "For All You Do Vintage Labels Three".  Then I used a rectangular piercing die (from Fun Stampers Journey) to form a frame and used my paper cutter to cut closely around the piercing.
  • Finishing: I added a flower (stamped/die cut/molded using Heartfelt Creations Poppy set) & then added a jewel for the center of the flower, and more jewels at the top of the sentiment, and in the lower right corner of the card - on the border.


No comments: