Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Tuesday, April 9, 2024

KCC14 - from 4"x12" papers

In the past, when I've worked Kendra's Card Challenges, I've used 6" x 6" papers - or to be accurate, 12" x 12" papers cut in quarters before being cut as outlined for KCC's.  This time, when I saw the new KCC#14 for 2nd quarter this year, I paid attention to the mention that scraps could be used instead of 6" x 6" papers.  A while back I had been given a bunch of papers pre-cut to different sizes.  Most were for A2 or 5x7 sizes, but some were 4" x 12" pieces.  I realized these larger pieces could be cut into the pieces called for and decided to try using them this time.  It worked well to cut the pieces out, and was interesting to see how they went together.  I also decided to use another resource that I'd recently come across - Sassy's LCC downloadable sentiments.  Here's a picture of the resulting 15 cards:

Now for a closer look at each:

Card #1:

I actually put this one together a bit differently than the sketch, preferring to arrange the pieces in a slightly different, though similar, way.   I embossed the background, and matted the pieces in purple glimmer paper.  Instead of the oval focal, I made it circular.  As you can see, in addition to the 1 3/4" circular sentiment & the 2" scalloped circle mat, I die cut an additional mat from a light cream color (using Spellbinder's Picot Edge Circles).  A purple ribbon bow completed this card.
 
Card #2:

Here, I started with a dark purple card blank.  After adding the patterned paper pieces, I added a die cut light cream colored mat (cut with Spellbinders Tear Drop Circles).  I added a border made of narrow cream colored paper and a Dazzles border.  Then I added a gold die cut mat (Spellbinders Splendid Circles).  As you may be able to tell, I inked the sentiment piece with a light tan color.  A gold ribbon bow completes the card.

Card #3:

 
This was an interesting layout.  I matted all the pieces with purple, then cut two background mats - one from purple and one a bit smaller from green vellum.  I arranged all the pieces on the green vellum, cutting along the edges and bringing all the extra pieces on the right side.  Then, I glued the green vellum to the purple.  After adding the matted sentiment, I added 3 Jewel Dazzles to the lower left corner.

Card #4:

This time, I rotated the sketch 90 degrees.  After gluing all the little pieces and the embossed piece at the top, I added narrow strips of gold foiled poster board in between each piece.  Next I added a sentiment matted with the same gold.  Finally, I added 3 Jewel Dazzles - medium sized ones layered on top of large sized ones.

Card #5:

This time, I really enjoyed the fact that I had other pieces of papers from this set that could coordinate with the one (border) piece that had been cut specifically for this card.  I found a piece that was mostly green to cut the background from - then embossed it and inked with gold.  Then I found a piece with this beautiful moth, and die cut it using a stitched oval die.  Because the embossed stitching didn't show up well, I ran it through with different sandwiches to increase the emboss - instead it tore.  That actually turned out to be a GOOD thing!  I carefully trimmed any jaggedly torn pieces, then cut another from gold glimmer paper from the center of the piece I used to mat the background - which now served as a lovely mat for my focal.  

The orientation of the moth encouraged me to rotate the sketch 90 degrees.  The sentiment is a strip sentiment - one of Sassy's.  I inked the card stock, then trimmed the ends with a punch.  As you can see, I matted both the border and sentiment pieces before adding them.

Card #6:

As you can see, some of these strips had pieces of orange roses, so I decided to focus on those as I put this card together.  I pulled a golden copper colored glimmer paper as background and arranged my strips so it barely showed through between rather than butting each up against the other.  This meant that I needed to cut my "extra" strips a tiny bit more narrow, but I liked the effect.  As you can see, I chose a golden paper - actually more vellum than regular paper - for my extra strips. 

Again I chose another Sassy's sentiment for a focal, inked it, then matted it in orange (actually had to ink the mat to tone the orange down a bit).  I die cut a circle (Spellbinder's Splendid Circles) from the same golden copper paper to form a second mat for my sentiment focal.  As you can see, I chose to place it in a different place - because of the way the patterns showed up on the strips.  To finish it, I added a ribbon bow from my stash, and punched out three small circles of the golden copper to decorate the bottom right corner.

Card #7:


This seventh card is quite a bit different from the sketch which called for the focal piece to be centered on the background panel, but I didn't want to do that because the pretty flowers turned out to be all on the right side.  As you can see, I matted everything with the golden copper paper - and die cut a greeting from it as well (from Spellbinders Fall Flora).  I decided to toss out the two little piece that had been intended to go either side of the focal when it was centered.  My pieces were pretty boring - just a mottled cream color and I just couldn't see any way to use them effectively.  As I look at it now, I could have used one as a flag below the focal, but I'm happy without it.  As you can see, I added flowers from my stash - some of which I inked to coordinate with the floral background (which looks a better match in real life). The greenery was die cut from scraps with a variety of small leafy dies - most from Card Making Magic.
 

 A border of extras from the card front decorates the inside.

Card #8:

This time I did what I maybe should have done from the beginning - I used a cream card blank.  As you can see, I mostly used a dark green to mat all these pieces and to die cut leaves.  I added flowers that I had made originally for the previous card but found the color wasn't right. The sentiment was another of Sassy's.

Inside:

Again, I added a border on the inside with scraps/leftovers.

Card #9:

For this layout, it was expected that you would create a scene on a 3 3/4" square.  I decided to look through other pieces from the same paper pad to see if I could find something that would work for a focal.  As you can see, I found it, and matted it on lavender card stock.  I finished by adding a matted sentiment and a crepe ribbon bow.

Card #10:

I found a green that would work reasonably well to mat all my pieces.  I cut and embossed a background piece from cream colored glimmer paper (Spellbinders M-Bossabilities 5x7 Imperial) and matted it in the same green.  After adhering the background, I glued the diamonds in place as you can see.  After creating and adding the matted sentiment (Sassy's) with foam tape, I filled the upper left corner with flowers and die cut greenery (misc dies - mostly from Card Making Magic).  After adding Jewel Dazzles as flower centers, I added more Jewel Dazzles in the lower right corner.

Inside:


I created a border using similar pieces as what I had on the card front.

Card #11:

As you can see, I used gold glimmer paper in the background and golden copper glimmer card stock for matting (except for the buttons - die set is Nellie's Multiframes Flower).  I used an aqua piece of card stock for other pieces - and inked the cream colored piece I stamped with a sentiment (JustRite's Be Strong stamp set).  I added a piece of gold doily to decorate the aqua piece of card stock.

Card #12:

This is based on a pretty straight forward layout.  To the cut patterned papers, I added gold vellum from my stash, and an embossed circle of lightly speckled paper (Lifestyle's Circle dies, Cuttlebug's Swiss Dots embossing folder). The sentiment was again from a Sassy's set.  Because of the topic mentioned in the sentiment, I went looking for a piece of pizza from my stash.  This made for a nice card, but clearly needed more.  I used red Jewel Dazzles to mimic the pepperoni on the pizza - and to complete the layout as per the sketch.  It still felt incomplete.  I found some corner stickers and added two of them.  That helped, but the card still didn't feel complete.  Then I thought to add a jute bow.  That was what was needed to complete the card.

Card #13:

Sketch #13 was a bit challenging for me to know how to decorate.  I embossed the aqua panel (card stock from my stash - Fun Stampers Journey embossing folder called Brocade) and matted it on gold vellum.  The patterned paper pieces were also matted with the gold, while the sentiment and piece behind it were both additionally matted on purple.  The sentiment is another Sassy's one.  Then, I added a 3D butterfly sticker from my stash and purple Jewel Dazzles (used Sharpie around the edge to turn it gold instead of silver).

Card #14:

 
Next up I have a hummingbird card - with hummingbird fussy cut from coordinating papers from what I was using for this set of cards.  I chose to use gold vellum for the background paper.  Then I looked at the scrap of lavender card stock that I had sitting in front of me.  It was too small to mat the focal frame, and had a punched scalloped circle out of the center of it.  I decided to cut narrow strips from it (to form the frame-like strips you see on the square and on the border), then I glued the remaining piece behind the frame and added the hummingbird with foam tape.  After adding the strips to the border piece and gluing it in place, I matted the little banner to the top of it - and then a sentiment with foam tape (from Hunkydory Little Book of Essential Sentiments).

Card #15:
 
This final card uses lavender and aqua card stock from my stash to back the matted printed paper pieces.  The sentiment was cut using a die from a Spellbinder's die set called Half Slimline Diamond.  The greenery was cut using dies from a couple of Card Making Magic sets (5x7 Card and Box set, Ultimate Number and Overlay).  After adding the greenery, I added some flowers from my stash (after inking some of them to turn them lavender) and gold Jewel Dazzles for the flower centers.

No comments: