Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Wednesday, August 30, 2017

OSW3 #2 - Gap Card

Today's card is the 2nd in my OSW3 set of cards - again using patterned paper & tags from the Honeysuckle Artful Card Kit from HOTP.  This one uses the parts labeled #2.  

This type of card is called a "gap" card because we cut a GAP out of the front of the card and replace it with something else - in this case the black die cut you see here backed by vellum.

CARD FRONT:
  • Card Base - This used a standard A2 red card base.  However, I drew horizontal lines 1 3/8" from the top of the card front & 1 3/8" from the bottom of the card front - and then cut along those lines.  This gave me a little flap at the top and 2 more pieces.  I set the piece from the middle aside and glued the die cut (Sue Wilson's Snowflake Mini Striplet) to the front lower edge of the flap at the top and to the top edge of the remaining 1 3/8" piece I had cut off the front.  This gave me a full-sized card front again - though you could see through to the back through the die cut. 
  • Borders - the three strips of patterned paper I had were just a hair long for the card, so I trimmed them to size - saving the larger one for the inside.  I matted the two smaller ones on black paper with a narrow margin & glued them above and below the die cut as you can see in the picture above. 
  • Sentiment & Finishing - I stamped a sentiment on the coordinating die cut that came from the kit.  The stamp was one from JustRite's "Because I Care" set.  Because the surface of the die cut was a bit shiny, I stamped with StazOn to be safe.  The I tied a bit of ribbon through the hole and attached it in the upper left corner.  The ribbon bow you see in the lower center of the card, actually got moved more to the right in the finished card.
INSIDE:

  • I matted my remaining piece of patterned paper on black and then carefully glued it near the bottom of the card where it wouldn't show through the die cut.  Then I decided I didn't like two things about the die cut.  Any message would show through it - and the back side of it didn't look finished.  So, I fixed both problems by backing the die cut with vellum and then gluing 2 black strips of paper over the join on the inside.

No comments: