Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Friday, March 13, 2020

More Sympathy


It sure seems like I've needed a lot of sympathy cards lately!  Here are three more.  Background for this first is from some backgrounds I created to make focals (like I've done for the second card shown here), but I decided to use this for a background piece.  It was made by applying "Gunmetal" mixative (Ranger) to glossy white card stock.  The flowers were stamped (Floral Sentiments 8 - North Coast Creations) with onyx VersaFine ink and then heat embossed.  Coloring was done with markers (scroll & brush) and a bit of Smooch Ink.  Sentiment was stamped in the same way (Stamp from Heartfelt Greetings - HOTP).  Gold ribbon from my stash finished it.



Here I use a pre-made focal.  It had started with an alcohol ink prepared background. I stamped and heat embossed it first with black ink and clear embossing powder (stamps from Circle of Love Vintage Labels Three & With Sympathy - both by JustRite).  However, the result was dull and not as dark black as I wanted.  Soooo, I re-heated the embossed areas, added black embossing powder, and re-embossed it.  I cut this with a Vintage Labels Three cutting die (JustRite) and then heat embossed the edges in black (ink the edges, apply embossing powder, heat).

I paired my pre-made focal with a patterned paper that blended well - and some plain black for accent. But something was missing.  I realized I wanted more white in the design.  This lattice die cut was just right (Cheery Lynn French Lattice). 


The inside is simply borders of the patterned and black papers with a stamped sentiment (With Sympathy by JustRite).


When I went to use the pre-made focal for the last card, I first tried paring it with this flocked paper scrap (HOTP).  I loved it - except that the colors weren't quite right.  So -- I decided to make a similar focal that WAS the right color.  I took some glossy card stock and colored it with distress ink in a color to match the background (actually needed to blend both Worn Lipstick and Picked Raspberry to get the color I wanted).  This was stamped and heat embossed with black powder.  In addition to the frame (stamped with JustRite Circle of Love Vintage Labels Three stamp & die cut with matching die), I added two sentiments to the center (JustRite's Sympathy Vintage Labels).  I decided I wanted to add a bit of white to help it stand out from the background, so die cut some white using a Spellbinder's die (Victorian Medallion).  A bit of black glitter ribbon from my stash finished the card front nicely.


I once again added a stamped sentiment to the inside (With Sympathy by JustRite).  Scraps of the paper form borders top and bottom.  I wanted them to stand out a bit better, so took a black Sharpie and drew around the borders!

No comments: