Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Sunday, March 15, 2020

Birthday Wishes


I've needed 3 more birthday cards for upcoming birthdays - one for my Mom & two masculine birthdays.  This first, is for my Mom.  Since Mom is a papercrafter too, I always feel I need to make hers extra special.  I had a hard time figuring out what that would be, until I was reminded of this Hunkydory paper I got in a Magazine that was given to me for Christmas.  It's beautiful, and my Mother LOVES roses.  Perfect! 

I immediately realized I wanted to make a larger card than usual to accommodate the frame/focal that I wanted to use.  I ended up making the card 8" square. 

Materials:
  • Hunkydory: All Things Bright and Beautiful kit
  • Spellbinder's dies: Grand Scalloped Squares, Decorative Triangle from Botanical Swirls & Accents, Fleur De Lis Squares
  • Stamps: Celebrations Borders One and Bracket Borders One (JustRite), Wreath Builder (Gina K Designs)
  • Clear Acetate from packaging
  • Poster Board: gold metallic 
  • Card Stock: Plain white
  • Inks: Spun Sugar (Distress Ink), Pearl Orchid (Brilliant Inks)
  • Foam Tape

Background and card prep: I started with one piece of card stock that was 8" x 8", and a second that was 8" x 8 1/2".  The extra half inch was to create a tab for gluing the two pieces together.  I used that piece for the card front and wrapped the tab behind to secure it to the 2nd piece.  Before I did that, though, I die cut the center portion out of the card front.  I didn't have a lot of dies that were large enough, so I used my Grand Scalloped Square dies (Spellbinders) to cut through both the card & the backing paper (without gluing them together first!).  Then I trimmed the inner pointed parts from the inside of the scallops so they would not be visible inside the frame.  I cut a piece of clear acetate a bit larger than the hole and glued it in place - sandwiching the acetate between the background paper and the card base.

Focal and Greeting: I put a double layer of dimensional tape on the frame & added it so that it framed the hole created in the last step.  I arranged the focal on point like a diamond.  To adhere, I cut another strip piece of dimensional tape to put behind the focal - arranging things so this would be covered by a sentiment strip (see inside of card).  That helped keep the focal in place - along with a touch of glue at each corner.  I added the sentiment tag - with a double layer of foam tape on the outside edge of it & glue on the inner corner to keep it in place.

Inside:


I discovered my foam tape was visible from the inside, so I used borders from the Hunkydory kit & strips of gold poster board to create a frame that hid it.  I also added a couple more decorative pieces from the kit to fancy it up a bit.    

On the other inside panel, I covered most of the inside with a coordinating striped paper from the kit.  Then I added a couple of gold die cut "Botanical Swirls and Accents" triangle pieces (cut from the poster board) in opposing corners.  My message/focal here started as a piece of white card stock that was die cut with a Fleur De Lis Square die & inked before being stamped using sentiments from the two sets mentioned in the materials list.  In order to get the color I wanted to coordinate well with the papers, I used both inks listed - one on top of the other - for shading & stamping.  

Here's a closeup of the two inside panels:


 

Back:


The back was decorated with a border strip of leftover paper (to hide where the card base pieces joined) and stamped with my "priceless" stamp (from my stash - not sure who made it.)

Next up - Two Masculine Birthday Cards:

Materials:
  • Printed papers & cutouts from a HOTP cardmaking kit.
  • Black marker (Sharpie)
  • Stamps: Wreath Builder (Gina K Designs), Grand Sentiments (JustRite)
  • Premade Focal: Botanical Swirls Labels (JustRite) and matching Botanical Swirls & Accents dies (Spellbinders), Tiny Words & Images (HOTP), alcohol inks
  • Scraps of gray, brown, and black cardstock 
  • Ink for edges of papers/cutouts
First Masculine Card:


Here you can see that I cut strips of the starred paper to form borders for the gray paper - then added a bunch of cut-out elements from the kit.


On the inside I stamped a sentiment from the Gina K set & added inked papers & cut out.

2nd Masculine Card:


For this background, I combined the star paper with some of the grey and a printed border strip (once again inking the edges). I added the pre-made focal sentiment, but decided it needed the additional bits of brown card stock for the border & "ribbon" at the top.  I outlined these with a black pen so they would stand out better.


The inside was more of the same at the bottom, but I created a tag from scraps & added it to a strip of black card stock at the top of this page.

No comments: