Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Monday, October 1, 2018

Frozen Napkins????

Today's card used the napkin/freezer paper technique.  

For those of you not familiar with this, you will need a napkin, a piece of plastic coated freezer paper, and a piece of parchment paper.
  1. Cut a piece of plastic coated freezer paper the size of the napkin/napkin piece you want to work with.  Cut napkin if desired, then separate so you ONLY have the top layer.  Cut a piece of parchment paper a bit bigger than the rest.
  2. Lay out your freezer paper plastic side up on a table that has been covered with a towel & heat-proof craft mat.  Lay napkin (face side up) on top of freezer paper & smooth out wrinkles.  Cover all with parchment paper & press with dry iron set to medium heat.
Use the resulting "napkin paper" as you wish!

CARD FRONT:
  1. Fussy cut the design from the "napkin paper" for the focal.  
  2. Prepare a piece of brown card stock by running it through a wood-grain embossing folder & then inking it.  I added it to my card front to form a "table" for my focal to sit on.  
  3. Lay the focal in place and lightly trace around it with an Inktense pencil - then remove the focal & use a water brush to create a bit of a shadow.  (I tried to get more shadow on one side, but need to work with these more to be able to really achieve the look I want!)
  4. I replaced my focal & glued it in place.
  5. I stamped a sentiment on the focal.  NOTE: the napkin absorbed the ink from the stamped sentiment, causing it to "bleed" a bit.  Next time I would try covering the napkin with clear gesso if I wanted to stamp on it!

The inside is more of the same - just a bit less of it!  I cut the pumpkin off at the bottom & found I needed to and some darker ink near the bottom to keep it from looking too weird - just added it with a foam applicator.

4 comments:

Becca Sadler said...

Wow! I haven't seen anyone use that technique for a long time! Good for you being all adventurous in your craftiness!!!

Rosie Guiher said...

Thank you for the info.Pretty card!

Rosie Guiher said...

About how long would you leave the iron on it?

Cheryl said...

Hi Rosie! To answer your question, I haven't timed it. Two things I keep in mind. 1) I try to move the iron around so it is not in any one place for long (don't want it to brown the napkin). 2) I want the plastic of the freezer paper to be melted to the napkin - this doesn't take very long, but I check & if there are edges that aren't thoroughly stuck down, I run the iron over it again. Hope that helps.