Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Thursday, October 18, 2018

A Couple Quickies

There were several fun challenges on the Paper Wishers message board for World Cardmaking Day.  Fortunately for me, there were a few that ran longer than a week!  That let me play too!  

I was able to make two cards and post them just before the time ran out.  The first was this cold weather card.  I had 3 requirements to meet for this challenge: 
  • Either a Z-fold or a cutaway card
  • Something round
  • Sequins, jewel Dazzles, or rhinestones
I had very little time to make these two cards, but was able to complete this one because I used the "Winter Wishes" Artful Card Kit (HOTP).  The background paper, and focal elements all came in the kit.  Here's what I did:

BASE CARD & BACKGROUND PAPER:
  • I started with the background paper.  I wanted it to look like it all fit together from the front, but have the bottom part on the back page.  I decided to use a border die (Spellbinders) and run it at a bit of an angle to give an interesting cutaway.  
  • I cut my paper to fit the card front with a bit of a white border - then glued the top part of the paper to my card (above where I wanted the cutaway).  Next I opened the card and lined my die up carefully where I wanted it.  I made sure that the top plate of my cutting sandwich lined up with the fold of my card, so I wouldn't accidentally cut part of the card back. After running through the die cut machine, I cat away the bottom portion of the card front along the fold.
  • Next I took, the piece of patterned paper I had cut off with my cutting die, added adhesive, closed my card and carefully lined the paper up on the inside of the card below the card front.
FOCAL:
  • After punching out the elements I wanted from the die cut sheets, I fussy cut the printed banner.
  • I put foam squares on the outer frame and lined it up where I wanted it.   Before removing the release paper, I glued the center circle & banner flush to the card.  Then removed the release paper from the foam squares & adhered the frame.
  • I put the mittens on even thicker foam squares and added them in the center of the circle as you see in the picture.
FINISHING:
  • Now all I had to do was add white Jewel Dazzles in the center of a bunch of the snowflakes.


This next card was a bit easier to make because it was a standard left fold card.  HOWEVER - that meant I had to think a little harder to come up with an idea for it!    Here's what I ended up with:

For this card, the requirements were that it:
  • be a standard left-side fold
  • Have buttons or brads
  • Include something square or rectangular.
For this card, I found some old patterned paper (HOTP) that I'd had for quite awhile & decided it would make a good background for my card.  I cut it just smaller than the card & outlined it in pen before gluing it to the card front.
For my focal, I decided to use a brad buddy (HOTP) to get that brad requirement out of the way quickly.  I put that coffee cup brad buddy on a rectangle of plaid paper matted on white card stock - after I added black lines around the edge and near the bottom.  After attaching the brad buddy to the rectangle with the "marshmallow" brads, I glued the whole piece to the front of my card. 

Now all I needed were some finishing touches.  I pulled out my Dazzles & that gave me what I needed.  I pulled a couple of streamers from a birthday set and used them for steam.  I found a Dazzles sentiment I thought would work (actually cut the "s" off the end of the word "Holidays" so I could say what I wanted to say).  I added 3 little stars on the yellow faux ribbon strip, and a little swirl in the rectangular red box below the coffee.  Short, sweet, and met the requirements!

No comments: