Please let me hear from you!

This blog is for sharing a love of paper crafting. You can also check out my Pintrest pages. If you find the ideas here to be helpful, I'd love to hear from you. It is what helps make the time I put into this blog feel worthwhile, and always brightens my day. I love hearing your ideas too!

(To leave a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see how many comments there are for that particular post. Click on the number of comments and the comment window will open. Also, if you want to add a link to something, follow the instructions at the bottom of this post.)

NOTE: If you click a link from the menu (below left) and are told the page does not exist, chances are good that it's a prepared post that will post at some point in the future, so be sure to check back!

You can also click this Pinterest Button to pin pictures in the blog posts.


Sunday, April 22, 2018

Hunkydory Twist & Pop


I recently purchased a pack of card bases from Hunkydory - bases for their "Twist & Pop cards.  This is the first card I've made using this card structure.  In addition to that card base, I used the following materials:
  • "Golden Touch" Artful Card Kit from HOTP
  • "Assorted Sentiments" stamp set from Stampenous
  • "For All You Do" stamp set from JustRite 
  • Gold paper ribbon from my stash
  • Gold-edged ribbon from my stash
  • Black Versafine Inkpad
  • Clear embossing powder
  • Ribbon from my stash
  • Small Heart-shaped punch
  • Foam squares
  • ATG

Belly Band: The picture above shows the card closed with the belly band, so I'll talk about that first.  The belly band is included with the card base & the card really needs it as it is quite bulky when finished - especially if you use foam tape for added dimension on the card front like I did.  My challenge was that I didn't want it glued closed, like we often do with a belly band, since I had several elements on the front of the card that were raised with foam tape & that would make sliding a belly band on and off a bit of a challenge.  What I ended up doing was, after covering the band with patterned paper from the kit, punching a little heart-shaped hole at one end.  Then I glued the ribbon on "most" of the way around, but left the ends free.  The ribbon from the bottom part threads up through the punched hole & then it is tied in a bow to hold everything in place.

Card Front: This next picture shows the front of the card with the belly band removed.  After covering the entire front of the card with patterned paper, I added a couple of border strips using a gold paper ribbon I had in my stash.  The focal & sentiment are die cuts from the kit - added using foam tape for dimension.

Inside: Next is what the card looks like when opened.  This is where the "twist & pop" comes in.  The four panels pop out when opened, but can be twisted back inside the card when closing it.  The instructions for this card aren't quite as detailed as I'd like - especially when it comes to adding the piece that pops out, but Debbie at Simply Special Crafts has made a video that demonstrates how this is put together.  For the inside, before adding the twist & pop mechanism, I covered the inside with a pastel paper that coordinates with the paper I used for the background of the card.  This gave me plenty of space I could use for writing a note to the recipient later.  The next picture shows a closer view of the 4 panels that pop up.

Pop-Up Panels: I started the pop-up panels by choosing 4 elements from the kit that I thought would coordinate well.  I cut 4 pieces of patterned paper slightly smaller than each panel, inked the edges with Pine Needles distress ink, & glued in place so there was a narrow white border around each. For the two outer panels I added a border of the gold paper ribbon before adding the elements as taken from the kit. On the two elements for the center panels I stamped sentiments with black Versafine ink.  On the oval one I added another die cut flower.  On the rectangular one I added a short hand-written note.  The final step was to take the punched-out die cut corners and arrange them around the rectangular piece on the 3rd panel.

No comments: